Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
He took the children in His arms and placed His hands on their heads
and blessed them (v.16).
According to UNICEF, 4 million newborns die each
year within their first month of life and 8.8 million
die before their first birthday. Nineteen million
infants in the developing world are born underweight
and 148 million children under age 5 suffer malnutrition.
There are 101 million children who aren’t attending
primary school and 2 million living with HIV. These huge
numbers represent real faces and personalities.
Children also suffered during Jesus’ day. In Mark,
children are depicted as either “sick” or “oppressed” (see
5:35-43, 7:24-30, 9:14-27). Moreover, a child of that era
was often considered less important than an adult.
The disciples were quick to deflect children and their
parents away from Jesus (10:13). Such an important
teacher was not to be troubled by mere kids! But Jesus
became indignant at their behavior, noting that children
have a special place in His kingdom (v.14). He wrapped
His arms around the children and blessed them (v.16).
This display of affection and compassion for children
was controversial for a rabbi, but Jesus went further.
He made children a role model for adults. “I tell you
the truth,” He said, “anyone who doesn’t receive the
kingdom of God like a child will never enter it” (v.15).
This was an unthinkable thing to say in Jesus’ day.
Children were to be led—not followed.
Jesus’ radical love of kids means two things for those
of us who follow Him today. First, we should work hard to see those UNICEF
statistics change. Jesus rescued children from illness and oppression and
welcomed them into His embrace. So should we.
Second, we should emulate the faith of a child. Jesus’ kingdom isn’t to be
earned or accomplished but received like a gift. In this, Jesus says, children can
be our guide.
Jesus resented the poor treatment of children. How often are you troubled by it? To what
degree do you trust Jesus?
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more