Clueless at the LightWhat would others say about my influence on them?
Top Music Videos
He took the children in His arms and placed His hands on their heads
and blessed them (v.16).
According to UNICEF, 4 million newborns die each
year within their first month of life and 8.8 million
die before their first birthday. Nineteen million
infants in the developing world are born underweight
and 148 million children under age 5 suffer malnutrition.
There are 101 million children who aren’t attending
primary school and 2 million living with HIV. These huge
numbers represent real faces and personalities.
Children also suffered during Jesus’ day. In Mark,
children are depicted as either “sick” or “oppressed” (see
5:35-43, 7:24-30, 9:14-27). Moreover, a child of that era
was often considered less important than an adult.
The disciples were quick to deflect children and their
parents away from Jesus (10:13). Such an important
teacher was not to be troubled by mere kids! But Jesus
became indignant at their behavior, noting that children
have a special place in His kingdom (v.14). He wrapped
His arms around the children and blessed them (v.16).
This display of affection and compassion for children
was controversial for a rabbi, but Jesus went further.
He made children a role model for adults. “I tell you
the truth,” He said, “anyone who doesn’t receive the
kingdom of God like a child will never enter it” (v.15).
This was an unthinkable thing to say in Jesus’ day.
Children were to be led—not followed.
Jesus’ radical love of kids means two things for those
of us who follow Him today. First, we should work hard to see those UNICEF
statistics change. Jesus rescued children from illness and oppression and
welcomed them into His embrace. So should we.
Second, we should emulate the faith of a child. Jesus’ kingdom isn’t to be
earned or accomplished but received like a gift. In this, Jesus says, children can
be our guide.
Jesus resented the poor treatment of children. How often are you troubled by it? To what
degree do you trust Jesus?
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more