Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
He took the children in His arms and placed His hands on their heads
and blessed them (v.16).
According to UNICEF, 4 million newborns die each
year within their first month of life and 8.8 million
die before their first birthday. Nineteen million
infants in the developing world are born underweight
and 148 million children under age 5 suffer malnutrition.
There are 101 million children who aren’t attending
primary school and 2 million living with HIV. These huge
numbers represent real faces and personalities.
Children also suffered during Jesus’ day. In Mark,
children are depicted as either “sick” or “oppressed” (see
5:35-43, 7:24-30, 9:14-27). Moreover, a child of that era
was often considered less important than an adult.
The disciples were quick to deflect children and their
parents away from Jesus (10:13). Such an important
teacher was not to be troubled by mere kids! But Jesus
became indignant at their behavior, noting that children
have a special place in His kingdom (v.14). He wrapped
His arms around the children and blessed them (v.16).
This display of affection and compassion for children
was controversial for a rabbi, but Jesus went further.
He made children a role model for adults. “I tell you
the truth,” He said, “anyone who doesn’t receive the
kingdom of God like a child will never enter it” (v.15).
This was an unthinkable thing to say in Jesus’ day.
Children were to be led—not followed.
Jesus’ radical love of kids means two things for those
of us who follow Him today. First, we should work hard to see those UNICEF
statistics change. Jesus rescued children from illness and oppression and
welcomed them into His embrace. So should we.
Second, we should emulate the faith of a child. Jesus’ kingdom isn’t to be
earned or accomplished but received like a gift. In this, Jesus says, children can
be our guide.
Jesus resented the poor treatment of children. How often are you troubled by it? To what
degree do you trust Jesus?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more