Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
The Only Way?
There is salvation in no one else! God has given no other name under
heaven by which we must be saved (v.12).
Meryl Streep played a nun in the movie Doubt,
so, of course, she was asked her opinion on
religion. She answered that the teachings of
various religions “form a kind of fence that divides us
from each other,” and that as a mother “I deeply resent
the idea that if you’re not a member of a church, temple,
ashram, synagogue or—what else is there?—that you
are somehow denying your children the meaning of life.
I feel I’m a deeply moral person. But often religion is a
club, out of which people are excluded.”
Streep’s comments resonate with our generation. Our
culture’s highest value is inclusion—we want everyone to
feel as if they belong. While this is a noble aim, it can
become silly when every child receives a trophy just for
participating, and it can become dangerous when we
think that every religion leads to God.
Jesus is the only way to life, because He alone can
heal our sin disease. This was Peter’s point in Acts 4 as
he addressed the religious leaders. As the crippled man
“was healed by the powerful name of Jesus Christ,” so
there is “no other name under heaven by which we must
be saved” (Acts 4:10,12).
Peter’s insistence that Jesus is the only way strikes
people in one of two ways. If they believe that people
are basically good, they will think it is unloving to insist
that everyone must believe in Jesus. But if they agree
with Scripture that we are all sinners (Romans 3:10-12), they will understand that
everyone needs a Savior.
Any path will not do. For we who are crippled by sin can’t take a single step
toward righteousness without God’s help. We need a healer, and there’s only
one candidate for that job. His name is Jesus.
It’s popular to think that a loving God wouldn’t require sinners to believe
in Jesus. How might this view be disrespectful of Jesus and what He did
for us? Who is Jesus to you?
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more