FearlessHow can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?
Top Christian Music Videos
Build a large boat from cypress wood and waterproof it with tar, inside and out (v.14).
A friend named Erik Lokkesmoe, a successful audience mobilization agency founder and principal, recently shared on Facebook: “Here’s something I am trying with my kids: collecting unfinished artwork that shows the creative process, not the finished product. The handwritten notes that led to a new song. The pencil sketch of a painting. And, recently, a personalized drawing of Scar from The Lion King by the original artist. I want my kids to see imperfection, imagination, and inspiration—not always the framed, matted, and perfected outcome.”
I love Erik’s concept for inspiring and instructing his children. Equally intriguing to me is applying a similar study to leaders portrayed in Scripture. For example, to closely examine the process Noah went through to build the ark (Genesis 6:9); to consider what Moses endured to write down the Book of Instruction for the people of Israel and foreigners as well (Deuteronomy 31:9); or to study what King David experienced while preparing Solomon to construct the temple of the Lord (1 Chronicles 29:1).
While it may be difficult to provide your child with materials or blueprints from Noah’s ark, what about visiting a shipyard to watch a builder at work? Or, go to a soccer stadium to grasp the boat’s dimensions. (Biblical scholars estimate the ark was just under 1½ soccer fields long.)
Do an online study to learn how Moses wrote the Book of Instruction (the Pentateuch). Research the tools Moses likely used to write with and the surface he wrote (or chiseled!) on. Ask an interior designer to describe the types of materials that were likely used to make the curtains for the temple King Solomon built.
There’s much to be gained when we add creativity to our studies. Go for it!
What obstacles do you think Noah may have had to overcome to do “everything exactly as God had commanded him”? (Genesis 6:22).
How can creatively studying Scripture help you grow in your knowledge and application of what it says? How has God creatively revealed Himself and His plans to us?
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more