Seasons of GriefAre you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?
Top Music Videos
Their gods are like helpless scarecrows (v.5).
As I wandered around at the annual Scarecrow
Festival in a neighboring town, the smell of
fried dough, popcorn, and hot dogs filled the
air. Multitudes of scarecrows masquerading as different
characters—athletes, pirates, farmers, cheerleaders—were
arranged on platforms for everyone to admire. I thought
of Jeremiah as he commanded the Israelites not to admire
the gods of the surrounding nations. He said, “Their gods
[were] like helpless scarecrows in a cucumber field”
(Jeremiah 10:5). He went on to build a case against idol
worship, and here are a few of his main points:
Idols are helpless. They can’t harm us or do us any
good (v.5). We should worship God because “the Lord is
the only true God” (v.10).
Idols are not alive. “They cannot speak” and they “have
no breath or power” (Jeremiah 10:5,14). We should
worship God because He is “the living God” (v.10) who
“is the Creator of everything that exists” (v.16).
Idols are destructible. They “will vanish from the earth
and from under the heavens” (Jeremiah 10:11). “They
will all be destroyed” (v.15). We should worship God
because He is “the everlasting King” (v.10).
Nothing should compete with our devotion to God.
Still, just like the people who outfitted their idols in “royal
blue and purple robes made by expert tailors” (v.9), we
decorate our houses, follow celebrities, and polish our
vehicles with enough dedication to make them into “so-called gods” (v.11).
The remedy for our struggle with “sacred scarecrows” is to remember that
God is the only One worthy of our devotion and praise. Meditating on His
power, eternal nature, and desire to know us personally will help us follow
the first of the Ten Commandments: “You must not have any other god but
Me” (Exodus 20:3). —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Why is idolatry harder to spot in our modern world than it was in
Jeremiah’s day? How can we ensure that God has His rightful place in
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more