Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
Their gods are like helpless scarecrows (v.5).
As I wandered around at the annual Scarecrow
Festival in a neighboring town, the smell of
fried dough, popcorn, and hot dogs filled the
air. Multitudes of scarecrows masquerading as different
characters—athletes, pirates, farmers, cheerleaders—were
arranged on platforms for everyone to admire. I thought
of Jeremiah as he commanded the Israelites not to admire
the gods of the surrounding nations. He said, “Their gods
[were] like helpless scarecrows in a cucumber field”
(Jeremiah 10:5). He went on to build a case against idol
worship, and here are a few of his main points:
Idols are helpless. They can’t harm us or do us any
good (v.5). We should worship God because “the Lord is
the only true God” (v.10).
Idols are not alive. “They cannot speak” and they “have
no breath or power” (Jeremiah 10:5,14). We should
worship God because He is “the living God” (v.10) who
“is the Creator of everything that exists” (v.16).
Idols are destructible. They “will vanish from the earth
and from under the heavens” (Jeremiah 10:11). “They
will all be destroyed” (v.15). We should worship God
because He is “the everlasting King” (v.10).
Nothing should compete with our devotion to God.
Still, just like the people who outfitted their idols in “royal
blue and purple robes made by expert tailors” (v.9), we
decorate our houses, follow celebrities, and polish our
vehicles with enough dedication to make them into “so-called gods” (v.11).
The remedy for our struggle with “sacred scarecrows” is to remember that
God is the only One worthy of our devotion and praise. Meditating on His
power, eternal nature, and desire to know us personally will help us follow
the first of the Ten Commandments: “You must not have any other god but
Me” (Exodus 20:3). —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Why is idolatry harder to spot in our modern world than it was in
Jeremiah’s day? How can we ensure that God has His rightful place in
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more