Starting OverHave you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?
Top Music Videos
David was commended by God as “a man after My own heart” (Acts 13:22). But when I think of David, two significant events surface: when he took down Goliath (1 Samuel 17:32-50), and when he committed adultery with Bathsheba (2 Samuel 11:1-5). One showed David’s victorious faith; the other his notorious sin and defeat.
Because David had been undefeated for the past 20 years, he was over-confident and negligent in his vigilance when he chose not to lead his men to war (v.1). He was indulgent, snoozing in bed until the evening (v.2). When he got up, he saw “a woman of unusual beauty taking a bath” (v.2). This is a caution for men to be careful what they view (Job 31:1; Proverbs 6:25; Matthew 5:27-29).
The servant gave David a veiled warning: “She is Bathsheba,...the wife of Uriah” (2 Samuel 11:3). She was a married woman! But David was unrestrained in his sexual pursuits (Deuteronomy 17:17; 2 Samuel 5:13). He didn’t tame his sexual lust (vv.3-4). As king, he believed he was accountable to no one (Deuteronomy 17:19-20).
But Bathsheba became pregnant (2 Samuel 11:5). So David tried to make it look like Uriah was the father (vv.6- 13). When that failed, he plotted Uriah’s death (vv.14-15). David broke five commandments: adultery, stealing, murder, lying, and coveting (Exodus 20:13-17).
If a spiritual giant like David could sin so grievously, surely you and I are equally capable of similar or worse failures (
2 Samuel 11:1-17
But the Lord was displeased with what David had done (v.27).
Carefully examine your relationships. How can you prepare yourself to resist sexual temptation?
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more