The Kingdom We Long ForWhat makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?
Top Music Videos
David was commended by God as “a man after My own heart” (Acts 13:22). But when I think of David, two significant events surface: when he took down Goliath (1 Samuel 17:32-50), and when he committed adultery with Bathsheba (2 Samuel 11:1-5). One showed David’s victorious faith; the other his notorious sin and defeat.
Because David had been undefeated for the past 20 years, he was over-confident and negligent in his vigilance when he chose not to lead his men to war (v.1). He was indulgent, snoozing in bed until the evening (v.2). When he got up, he saw “a woman of unusual beauty taking a bath” (v.2). This is a caution for men to be careful what they view (Job 31:1; Proverbs 6:25; Matthew 5:27-29).
The servant gave David a veiled warning: “She is Bathsheba,...the wife of Uriah” (2 Samuel 11:3). She was a married woman! But David was unrestrained in his sexual pursuits (Deuteronomy 17:17; 2 Samuel 5:13). He didn’t tame his sexual lust (vv.3-4). As king, he believed he was accountable to no one (Deuteronomy 17:19-20).
But Bathsheba became pregnant (2 Samuel 11:5). So David tried to make it look like Uriah was the father (vv.6- 13). When that failed, he plotted Uriah’s death (vv.14-15). David broke five commandments: adultery, stealing, murder, lying, and coveting (Exodus 20:13-17).
If a spiritual giant like David could sin so grievously, surely you and I are equally capable of similar or worse failures (
2 Samuel 11:1-17
But the Lord was displeased with what David had done (v.27).
Carefully examine your relationships. How can you prepare yourself to resist sexual temptation?
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more