Right and Wrong WordsIs your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?
Top Christian Music Videos
David was commended by God as “a man after My own heart” (Acts 13:22). But when I think of David, two significant events surface: when he took down Goliath (1 Samuel 17:32-50), and when he committed adultery with Bathsheba (2 Samuel 11:1-5). One showed David’s victorious faith; the other his notorious sin and defeat.
Because David had been undefeated for the past 20 years, he was over-confident and negligent in his vigilance when he chose not to lead his men to war (v.1). He was indulgent, snoozing in bed until the evening (v.2). When he got up, he saw “a woman of unusual beauty taking a bath” (v.2). This is a caution for men to be careful what they view (Job 31:1; Proverbs 6:25; Matthew 5:27-29).
The servant gave David a veiled warning: “She is Bathsheba,...the wife of Uriah” (2 Samuel 11:3). She was a married woman! But David was unrestrained in his sexual pursuits (Deuteronomy 17:17; 2 Samuel 5:13). He didn’t tame his sexual lust (vv.3-4). As king, he believed he was accountable to no one (Deuteronomy 17:19-20).
But Bathsheba became pregnant (2 Samuel 11:5). So David tried to make it look like Uriah was the father (vv.6- 13). When that failed, he plotted Uriah’s death (vv.14-15). David broke five commandments: adultery, stealing, murder, lying, and coveting (Exodus 20:13-17).
If a spiritual giant like David could sin so grievously, surely you and I are equally capable of similar or worse failures (
2 Samuel 11:1-17
But the Lord was displeased with what David had done (v.27).
Carefully examine your relationships. How can you prepare yourself to resist sexual temptation?
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more