The Ultimate SourceGod’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways.
Top Christian Music Videos
A Destructive God
You cannot serve both God and money (v.24).
There are two essential spiritual truths that we ignore at our peril. The first is that a variety of “gods” seek our allegiance. The second is that we take on the qualities of the gods we worship. Jesus described money as one of these alternative gods, and the secular world is now telling us how worshiping this god affects us.
In his book The Selfish Capitalist, psychologist Oliver James outlines the effects of materialism on those who practice it. With their emphasis on money, possessions, and personal appearance, materialists suffer increased levels of depression, anxiety, aggression, narcissism, substance abuse, and relationship breakdown. As our devotion to this god grows, we become less loyal, forgiving, helpful, and joyful, and tend to be more cynical, fearful, insecure, and manipulative. Oliver James adds that most modern psychiatric disorders are virtually unknown outside of westernized societies. A materialistic culture leads to sickness of the deepest kind.
Jesus knew this long ago. He described wealth as something that vies for our worship (Matthew 6:24). He knew that our hearts are shaped by what we “treasure” (v.21). He warned that obsessing over material things would bring anxiety (vv.25-32) and a darkness of soul that robs us of life and purpose (vv.22-23).
How can we be liberated from such a pervasive illness? Jesus’ remedy is as relevant today as it was in the first century. We’re to renounce the god of money and serve the God of love (v.24). We’re to be assured of His concern for us (v.26) and trust Him to provide the material things we need (v.30). We’re to orient our lives around His agenda (v.33) and find our life’s purpose in working for things that last (v.20).Worshiping money destroys us.
Worshiping the true God brings life, joy, and peace (Romans 14:17). The choice of allegiance is ours.
How are you prone to seek your identity through what you own and wear? How are your dreams shaped by the kingdom of God? How are they shaped by advertising?
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more