"Brutiful"How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?
Top Music Videos
A Destructive God
You cannot serve both God and money (v.24).
There are two essential spiritual truths that we ignore at our peril. The first is that a variety of “gods” seek our allegiance. The second is that we take on the qualities of the gods we worship. Jesus described money as one of these alternative gods, and the secular world is now telling us how worshiping this god affects us.
In his book The Selfish Capitalist, psychologist Oliver James outlines the effects of materialism on those who practice it. With their emphasis on money, possessions, and personal appearance, materialists suffer increased levels of depression, anxiety, aggression, narcissism, substance abuse, and relationship breakdown. As our devotion to this god grows, we become less loyal, forgiving, helpful, and joyful, and tend to be more cynical, fearful, insecure, and manipulative. Oliver James adds that most modern psychiatric disorders are virtually unknown outside of westernized societies. A materialistic culture leads to sickness of the deepest kind.
Jesus knew this long ago. He described wealth as something that vies for our worship (Matthew 6:24). He knew that our hearts are shaped by what we “treasure” (v.21). He warned that obsessing over material things would bring anxiety (vv.25-32) and a darkness of soul that robs us of life and purpose (vv.22-23).
How can we be liberated from such a pervasive illness? Jesus’ remedy is as relevant today as it was in the first century. We’re to renounce the god of money and serve the God of love (v.24). We’re to be assured of His concern for us (v.26) and trust Him to provide the material things we need (v.30). We’re to orient our lives around His agenda (v.33) and find our life’s purpose in working for things that last (v.20).Worshiping money destroys us.
Worshiping the true God brings life, joy, and peace (Romans 14:17). The choice of allegiance is ours.
How are you prone to seek your identity through what you own and wear? How are your dreams shaped by the kingdom of God? How are they shaped by advertising?
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more