Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
If you ignore the least commandment and teach others to do the same, you will be called the least in the kingdom of heaven. But anyone who obeys God’s laws and teaches them will be called great (v.19).
Pandora is one of the musical marvels of the Internet age. It’s an algorithm-based website that allows you to listen to any musical artists, bands, and songs that you like. By each song, you can click a “thumbs up” or a “thumbs down” sign. When you click the “thumbs up” sign, it plays more music like what you just heard. If you click the “thumbs down” sign, Pandora will take that song out of rotation or skip that song and bring up a different song for you to judge.
To prevent His disciples from developing a “thumbs up” and “thumbs down” approach to the Scriptures, Jesus taught them to have a high view of the Word. Near the beginning of the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said His purpose in teaching was not to weaken the interpretation and application of the written Scriptures but to complete His disciples’ understanding of it (Matthew 5:17). To show His high view of Scripture, the unchanging nature of God’s Word, and the indistinguishable principles of what the rabbis called “light” and “heavy” commandments, Jesus said heaven and earth would sooner disappear than even the smallest stroke of the pen found in the Scriptures (vv.18-19).
For Jesus, a light commandment (do not be angry or bear hatred in your heart) is just as important as a heavy commandment (do not murder). Jesus wanted His disciples to understand that God had not given them the freedom to customize His Word to their own liking.
As believers in Jesus, let’s internalize all of His teachings, not just the ones we like. When we accept and obey all of His Word, He empowers us to instinctively live out “thumbs-up” obedience to what it says—even the difficult teachings.
Read James 1:19. What are the consequences of hearing but not obeying God’s Word? What are the results of hearing and obeying His Word?
To what parts of God’s Word do you tend to give a “thumbs up” or a “thumbs down”? What needs to change in your heart so that you can obey all of Jesus’ teachings?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more