What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
An Amazon message board comment caught my attention recently. "I have a zillion books in my library," Michele said in a discussion on New Age spirituality, "books on the Kabbalah, Golden Dawn books, The Zohar, books on the Tetragrammaton, Ernest Holmes books, Dalai Lama books, Ascension books, Christian Science books, Theosophical books, and on and on." Michele's vast reading left her confused. "I couldn't assemble [their teachings] into a bottom line if my life depended on it. If the ultimate communion with Source relies somehow on endless ritual and recitation, all is lost to me."
Michele longed to commune with the "Source", with God, but felt disheartened by the contradictory teachings her mystical authors gave about how to do so. She was weary. Burdened.
Jesus addressed people like Michele. Many years before He came to earth, another Jesus, Jesus ben Sira, had called people to find soul rest by taking on the "yoke" of the Jewish Law through study and reflection (Ecclesiasticus 51:23-27). By Christ's time, legalistic teachers had distorted that Law, adding long lists of rules to it. This "yoke" (originally a device worn on the shoulders to make a load easier to carry) now crushed the faithful (Matthew 23:4). The people longed for God, but were burdened with "rituals and recitations."
Jesus gave an extraordinary invitation to these weary folks. "Come to Me," He said. "Take My yoke upon you . . . and you will find rest for your souls" (11:28-29). With those shocking words Jesus claimed that He was the ultimate source of soul rest, not the teachers' rituals or even the Law itself. Jesus is the ultimate source of life (John 1:4). Come to Him today. , Sheridan Voysey, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more