Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
An Amazon message board comment caught my attention recently. "I have a zillion books in my library," Michele said in a discussion on New Age spirituality, "books on the Kabbalah, Golden Dawn books, The Zohar, books on the Tetragrammaton, Ernest Holmes books, Dalai Lama books, Ascension books, Christian Science books, Theosophical books, and on and on." Michele's vast reading left her confused. "I couldn't assemble [their teachings] into a bottom line if my life depended on it. If the ultimate communion with Source relies somehow on endless ritual and recitation, all is lost to me."
Michele longed to commune with the "Source", with God, but felt disheartened by the contradictory teachings her mystical authors gave about how to do so. She was weary. Burdened.
Jesus addressed people like Michele. Many years before He came to earth, another Jesus, Jesus ben Sira, had called people to find soul rest by taking on the "yoke" of the Jewish Law through study and reflection (Ecclesiasticus 51:23-27). By Christ's time, legalistic teachers had distorted that Law, adding long lists of rules to it. This "yoke" (originally a device worn on the shoulders to make a load easier to carry) now crushed the faithful (Matthew 23:4). The people longed for God, but were burdened with "rituals and recitations."
Jesus gave an extraordinary invitation to these weary folks. "Come to Me," He said. "Take My yoke upon you . . . and you will find rest for your souls" (11:28-29). With those shocking words Jesus claimed that He was the ultimate source of soul rest, not the teachers' rituals or even the Law itself. Jesus is the ultimate source of life (John 1:4). Come to Him today. , Sheridan Voysey, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more