Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
The Stories We Tell
2 Timothy 3:10
You must remain faithful to the things you have been taught (v.14).
I’m often disappointed with kids’ Bible story books.
They usually paint a sugary picture that presents the
Bible as a very safe and manageable book. Often,
you get a collection of pithy moralisms that you could get
just as well (better, perhaps) from Aesop’s Fables. With
this posture, the Bible’s truths have lost their scandal; they
don’t require a cross or resurrection or God’s kingdom.
In fact, they don’t require God at all. God is on the
periphery. The feeding of the 5,000 is about a boy who
shares. Israel crossing over the Red Sea is about a neat
leader (Moses) with a cool stick that parts water. The
great parable offering God as the good Father flooding
the world with generosity becomes a tale about how
we’re supposed to obey our parents.
Our problem is that we’ve learned to read the Bible
as a story where we’re the central characters, and so
we teach our kids to read the Bible as though they’re the
central characters. But this is all wrong: God is in the
In Paul’s letter to young Timothy, he reminded his
protégé to remain true to the spiritual training he had
received “from the holy Scriptures [since] childhood”
(2 Timothy 2:15). This teaching was centered on
“salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus” and truths
that are not human but are “inspired by God” (vv.15-16).
In other words, Timothy’s mother and grandmother told him what was most
essential: They told him about God. It’s easy to forget that Scripture is about
Him. The Bible tells us God’s story first—and we find our truest meaning only
when we find our story in God’s story.
The stories we tell our children and ourselves really do matter. Let’s tell God’s
Read 2 Timothy 2:1.
What are the competing story lines that Timothy encounters? Who are the
Where are you most tempted to make yourself the central character in
God’s story? Why is it vital for us to recognize that God’s Word is all
about Him—not us?
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more