Run with It!Jesus is the author of life.
Top Christian Music Videos
The Critical Move
From then on Jesus began to tell His disciples plainly that it was necessary for Him to go to Jerusalem, and that He . . . would be killed, but on the third day He would be raised from the dead (v.21).
Mystery novelist Agatha Christie once suggested that the best way to tell a story that will leave an audience guessing to the end is to conceal the “critical move” with a “big move.” A mysterious movie that stumped me till the end is The Sixth Sense.
The big move was a therapist who started to see a young boy who claimed to see dead people. The critical move that took countless viewers by surprise [spoiler alert] was that the therapist later learned that the reason the young boy “saw” him was because he himself was actually dead.
Jesus’ story took an unexpected twist that few, if any, in His day saw coming. The “big move,” so to speak, was that Jesus was King (Matthew 2:2; John 18:37). His royal proclamation caught many people’s attention, supporters and detractors alike. But as far as we know, no one in His day would have guessed how He would ultimately establish His kingdom.
Yes, He was the King of kings. But as He once tried to explain to those closest to Him, His kingdom would be brought about through His suffering and death (Matthew 16:21). This was the “critical move” that took everyone by surprise.
The cross (and His stunning resurrection) was the unlikely means by which He would defeat the ultimate enemy of sin and death on our behalf—officially establishing His kingdom on earth as it is in heaven. In an irony of ironies, the cross on which King Jesus was “lifted up” (John 12:31) turned out to be the “throne” on which His glorious reign ultimately began.
Though they were clueless of its true meaning, even His Roman executioners got it right when they hung this inscription over His head: “This is Jesus, the King of the Jews” (Matthew 27:37).
Read Matthew 16:24 and consider what it means for you to “take up your cross” and follow Jesus.
Why is it vital that we realize that Jesus the King died on a criminal’s cross? How has His sacrifice changed your life?
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more