Finding RefugeWhat does it mean for God to be your true refuge?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Critical Move
From then on Jesus began to tell His disciples plainly that it was necessary for Him to go to Jerusalem, and that He . . . would be killed, but on the third day He would be raised from the dead (v.21).
Mystery novelist Agatha Christie once suggested that the best way to tell a story that will leave an audience guessing to the end is to conceal the “critical move” with a “big move.” A mysterious movie that stumped me till the end is The Sixth Sense.
The big move was a therapist who started to see a young boy who claimed to see dead people. The critical move that took countless viewers by surprise [spoiler alert] was that the therapist later learned that the reason the young boy “saw” him was because he himself was actually dead.
Jesus’ story took an unexpected twist that few, if any, in His day saw coming. The “big move,” so to speak, was that Jesus was King (Matthew 2:2; John 18:37). His royal proclamation caught many people’s attention, supporters and detractors alike. But as far as we know, no one in His day would have guessed how He would ultimately establish His kingdom.
Yes, He was the King of kings. But as He once tried to explain to those closest to Him, His kingdom would be brought about through His suffering and death (Matthew 16:21). This was the “critical move” that took everyone by surprise.
The cross (and His stunning resurrection) was the unlikely means by which He would defeat the ultimate enemy of sin and death on our behalf—officially establishing His kingdom on earth as it is in heaven. In an irony of ironies, the cross on which King Jesus was “lifted up” (John 12:31) turned out to be the “throne” on which His glorious reign ultimately began.
Though they were clueless of its true meaning, even His Roman executioners got it right when they hung this inscription over His head: “This is Jesus, the King of the Jews” (Matthew 27:37).
Read Matthew 16:24 and consider what it means for you to “take up your cross” and follow Jesus.
Why is it vital that we realize that Jesus the King died on a criminal’s cross? How has His sacrifice changed your life?
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more
- Two-Winged Sun - What Scriptures inspire you today?...read more