Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
The Critical Move
From then on Jesus began to tell His disciples plainly that it was necessary for Him to go to Jerusalem, and that He . . . would be killed, but on the third day He would be raised from the dead (v.21).
Mystery novelist Agatha Christie once suggested that the best way to tell a story that will leave an audience guessing to the end is to conceal the “critical move” with a “big move.” A mysterious movie that stumped me till the end is The Sixth Sense.
The big move was a therapist who started to see a young boy who claimed to see dead people. The critical move that took countless viewers by surprise [spoiler alert] was that the therapist later learned that the reason the young boy “saw” him was because he himself was actually dead.
Jesus’ story took an unexpected twist that few, if any, in His day saw coming. The “big move,” so to speak, was that Jesus was King (Matthew 2:2; John 18:37). His royal proclamation caught many people’s attention, supporters and detractors alike. But as far as we know, no one in His day would have guessed how He would ultimately establish His kingdom.
Yes, He was the King of kings. But as He once tried to explain to those closest to Him, His kingdom would be brought about through His suffering and death (Matthew 16:21). This was the “critical move” that took everyone by surprise.
The cross (and His stunning resurrection) was the unlikely means by which He would defeat the ultimate enemy of sin and death on our behalf—officially establishing His kingdom on earth as it is in heaven. In an irony of ironies, the cross on which King Jesus was “lifted up” (John 12:31) turned out to be the “throne” on which His glorious reign ultimately began.
Though they were clueless of its true meaning, even His Roman executioners got it right when they hung this inscription over His head: “This is Jesus, the King of the Jews” (Matthew 27:37).
Read Matthew 16:24 and consider what it means for you to “take up your cross” and follow Jesus.
Why is it vital that we realize that Jesus the King died on a criminal’s cross? How has His sacrifice changed your life?
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more