Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
In the film The Painted Veil, an unhappily married couple, Walter and Kitty Fane, trek into China's rural Guangxi Province where cholera is decimating the locals. Their visit is hardly altruistic. Walter has caught Kitty in an affair and this trip is her punishment.
While Walter, a bacteriologist, fights the disease, Kitty offers her services to the Catholic-run hospital. One day the nun overseeing the hospital speaks of her own troubled "marriage": "I fell in love when I was 17, with God," she says. "Over the years my feelings have changed. He's disappointed me. Ignored me. Over the years we've settled into a relationship of peaceful indifference."
Surrounded by cholera and feeling disappointed by God, the nun vows faithfulness. A honorable stand?
A young pastor named Timothy once faced his own hardships. His church was being persecuted, some of his church leaders were teaching falsely (1 Timothy 1:3), his confidence was shaky (4:12-16), and his mentor was imprisoned (2 Timothy 1:8). So the apostle Paul sent him some song lyrics as encouragement (2:11-13). The song unequivocally calls for perseverance (v.12). Like the nun in The Painted Veil, Timothy was called to stay with God when the joys of faith dissipated.
But Paul adds a vital point: God is faithful to us when we disappoint Him (v.13). The God who faithfully helps us persevere (1 Corinthians 1:8-9), fight temptation (10:13), and face spiritual attack (2 Thessalonians 3:3), is by very nature faithful (Exodus 34:6).
The nun's comments ring with pride, painting the picture of a faithful follower who abides when the moody God ignores her. The apostle Paul challenges this theology. God is no indifferent heavenly spouse, but a Lover who cannot be anything but faithful to us, His bride. , Sheridan Voysey, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more