Clueless at the LightWhat would others say about my influence on them?
Top Music Videos
Jonah 1:1 Who are you? What is your line of work? (v.8).
When the Titanic sank on April 15, 1912, evangelist John Harper was among the 1,522 people who died. After putting his 6-year-old daughter on a lifeboat, John ran throughout the ship and warned others about the eternal destiny of their souls. When he finally had to jump into the icy water, he clung to a piece of wreckage and asked another man, “Are you saved?” When the man answered, “No,” John said to him, “Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved” (Acts 16:31). This man was the last convert of John Harper.
The ship that was carrying Jonah was in danger of breaking up. The sailors were desperately fearful. But Jonah seemed to be totally unconcerned about whether they lived or died. He had refused to preach the gospel to the Assyrians. That was why he was on this ship. He had rejected his responsibility as an evangelist.
Realizing that Jonah was responsible for putting the entire crew at risk, the sailors asked him a poignant question: “Who are you? What is your line of work?” (1:8). Instead of confessing his sin and making it right, Jonah unashamedly told them that “he was running away from the Lord.” The sailors then asked another insightful question: “Why did you do it?” (v.10).
Here’s why: Jonah didn’t seem to be overly concerned about the eternal destiny of these men (Jonah 4:10). In hiding his identity and neglecting his responsibility as an evangelist, Jonah denied these men the opportunity to hear the good news. Ironically, it was the unbelieving ship captain who reminded Jonah that his God could save them (v.6). When Jonah was forced into the raging sea, he went alone. But when John Harper was forced to jump into the icy water, he brought another person into eternal life.
“Who are you?” (v.8). Are you a Jonah or a John Harper?
Why would you agree or disagree that it’s much easier to be a Jonah than a John Harper? How can you be better prepared to share your faith?
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more