Finding RefugeWhat does it mean for God to be your true refuge?
Top Christian Music Videos
Jonah 1:1 Who are you? What is your line of work? (v.8).
When the Titanic sank on April 15, 1912, evangelist John Harper was among the 1,522 people who died. After putting his 6-year-old daughter on a lifeboat, John ran throughout the ship and warned others about the eternal destiny of their souls. When he finally had to jump into the icy water, he clung to a piece of wreckage and asked another man, “Are you saved?” When the man answered, “No,” John said to him, “Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved” (Acts 16:31). This man was the last convert of John Harper.
The ship that was carrying Jonah was in danger of breaking up. The sailors were desperately fearful. But Jonah seemed to be totally unconcerned about whether they lived or died. He had refused to preach the gospel to the Assyrians. That was why he was on this ship. He had rejected his responsibility as an evangelist.
Realizing that Jonah was responsible for putting the entire crew at risk, the sailors asked him a poignant question: “Who are you? What is your line of work?” (1:8). Instead of confessing his sin and making it right, Jonah unashamedly told them that “he was running away from the Lord.” The sailors then asked another insightful question: “Why did you do it?” (v.10).
Here’s why: Jonah didn’t seem to be overly concerned about the eternal destiny of these men (Jonah 4:10). In hiding his identity and neglecting his responsibility as an evangelist, Jonah denied these men the opportunity to hear the good news. Ironically, it was the unbelieving ship captain who reminded Jonah that his God could save them (v.6). When Jonah was forced into the raging sea, he went alone. But when John Harper was forced to jump into the icy water, he brought another person into eternal life.
“Who are you?” (v.8). Are you a Jonah or a John Harper?
Why would you agree or disagree that it’s much easier to be a Jonah than a John Harper? How can you be better prepared to share your faith?
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more
- Two-Winged Sun - What Scriptures inspire you today?...read more