Running the RaceHow deliberate are you in your spiritual training?
Top Christian Music Videos
Jonah 1:1 Who are you? What is your line of work? (v.8).
When the Titanic sank on April 15, 1912, evangelist John Harper was among the 1,522 people who died. After putting his 6-year-old daughter on a lifeboat, John ran throughout the ship and warned others about the eternal destiny of their souls. When he finally had to jump into the icy water, he clung to a piece of wreckage and asked another man, “Are you saved?” When the man answered, “No,” John said to him, “Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved” (Acts 16:31). This man was the last convert of John Harper.
The ship that was carrying Jonah was in danger of breaking up. The sailors were desperately fearful. But Jonah seemed to be totally unconcerned about whether they lived or died. He had refused to preach the gospel to the Assyrians. That was why he was on this ship. He had rejected his responsibility as an evangelist.
Realizing that Jonah was responsible for putting the entire crew at risk, the sailors asked him a poignant question: “Who are you? What is your line of work?” (1:8). Instead of confessing his sin and making it right, Jonah unashamedly told them that “he was running away from the Lord.” The sailors then asked another insightful question: “Why did you do it?” (v.10).
Here’s why: Jonah didn’t seem to be overly concerned about the eternal destiny of these men (Jonah 4:10). In hiding his identity and neglecting his responsibility as an evangelist, Jonah denied these men the opportunity to hear the good news. Ironically, it was the unbelieving ship captain who reminded Jonah that his God could save them (v.6). When Jonah was forced into the raging sea, he went alone. But when John Harper was forced to jump into the icy water, he brought another person into eternal life.
“Who are you?” (v.8). Are you a Jonah or a John Harper?
Why would you agree or disagree that it’s much easier to be a Jonah than a John Harper? How can you be better prepared to share your faith?
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more