True FellowshipWhat comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?
Top Music Videos
Jonah 1:1 Who are you? What is your line of work? (v.8).
When the Titanic sank on April 15, 1912, evangelist John Harper was among the 1,522 people who died. After putting his 6-year-old daughter on a lifeboat, John ran throughout the ship and warned others about the eternal destiny of their souls. When he finally had to jump into the icy water, he clung to a piece of wreckage and asked another man, “Are you saved?” When the man answered, “No,” John said to him, “Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved” (Acts 16:31). This man was the last convert of John Harper.
The ship that was carrying Jonah was in danger of breaking up. The sailors were desperately fearful. But Jonah seemed to be totally unconcerned about whether they lived or died. He had refused to preach the gospel to the Assyrians. That was why he was on this ship. He had rejected his responsibility as an evangelist.
Realizing that Jonah was responsible for putting the entire crew at risk, the sailors asked him a poignant question: “Who are you? What is your line of work?” (1:8). Instead of confessing his sin and making it right, Jonah unashamedly told them that “he was running away from the Lord.” The sailors then asked another insightful question: “Why did you do it?” (v.10).
Here’s why: Jonah didn’t seem to be overly concerned about the eternal destiny of these men (Jonah 4:10). In hiding his identity and neglecting his responsibility as an evangelist, Jonah denied these men the opportunity to hear the good news. Ironically, it was the unbelieving ship captain who reminded Jonah that his God could save them (v.6). When Jonah was forced into the raging sea, he went alone. But when John Harper was forced to jump into the icy water, he brought another person into eternal life.
“Who are you?” (v.8). Are you a Jonah or a John Harper?
Why would you agree or disagree that it’s much easier to be a Jonah than a John Harper? How can you be better prepared to share your faith?
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more