The Gentle WayWhat does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Pray For Me
Make my life a prayer to You,
I wanna do what You want me to,
No empty words and no white lies,
No token prayers, no compromise.
Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every
occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your
prayers for all believers everywhere (v.18).
I love those lyrics from Christian singer/songwriter
Keith Green who died almost 3 decades ago. His
passionate heart for God is reflected in every word.
In Ephesians 6, the apostle Paul described how we
can make our lives a prayer to God by having an active
prayer life. He wrote, “Pray in the Spirit at all times and
on every occasion” (v.18).
It’s not coincidental that Paul penned those words after
having addressed the fact that we’re in a spiritual battle,
not “fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies” (v.12). His
famous metaphor of us putting on spiritual armor is clear
and instructive (v.13). For without truth, righteousness,
peace that comes from the good news, faith, salvation,
and God’s Word, we will wilt before our unseen enemies.
But what’s the one thing the apostle tells us to do
every moment as we battle? Pray. To do what God wants
us to do, to live without compromise, to withstand “the
fiery arrows of the devil” (v.16), requires continuous
communication with our Father in heaven. We should
“never stop praying” (1 Th. 5:17).
When things go wrong, sometimes we stop praying the right way. As Keith
wrote, either our prayers are “token,” or we’ve simply stopped communicating with
God altogether. Instead of being “persistent in [our] prayers” (Ephesians 6:18),
we’ve shown our lack of faith and loss of love for God by not talking with Him.
It’s time to make your life a prayer to God. Follow Paul’s example. He told the
Ephesians, “Pray for me” (v.19). By doing so, he acknowledged the amazing
power that comes from God as we pray to Him “at all times.” —Tom Felten
Read 1 Corinthians
14:15 and reflect on why
it’s so important to pray
“in the spirit,” not just in
What’s been keeping you
from passionately praying
to God? How will you
change your prayer life
- The Gentle Way - What does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?...read more
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more