Why Pray?What do you need to ask God for today?
Top Christian Music Videos
Thursday November 7
bless the Lord
Have you sung Matt Redman’s inspiring song, “10,000 Reasons”? It begins, “Bless the Lord, O my soul, O my soul, worship His holy name. Sing like never before, O my soul. I’ll worship Your holy name.” Matt said he based the song on Psalm 103, which lists many and various reasons to bless the Lord. The New International Version and New Living Translation translate Psalm 103:1 as “praise the Lord,” but the Hebrew literally says, “O my soul, bless the Lord.” Do you wonder what that means?
To bless means to bestow good on someone, which is why you can’t read too far in the Old Testament without someone begging the Lord for His blessing. Abraham pleaded with God, “May Ishmael live under your special blessing!” (Genesis 17:18). Jacob battled Esau over the blessing and clung to the divine wrestler, insisting that “I will not let you go unless You bless me” (32:26). These saints knew that God’s blessing was the secret to their success, for only God could open wombs, shut out enemies, and guarantee a bumper crop. God’s blessing could make even Job’s situation tolerable, and after his test “the Lord blessed Job in the second half of his life even more than in the beginning” (Job 42:12).
We understand how God blesses us by giving us good things, but how can we bless God? What good could we possibly add that He doesn’t already have? Only one thing: reputation. Psalm 115 says that when the nations ridicule the Lord, saying, “Where is their God?” (v.2), we respond by blessing (the Hebrew term in v.18) the Lord for His countless blessings on us. And so we make His name great.
God blesses us by conferring good things; we bless Him by praising the good we see in Him. Want to add to the fame of the Lord? Sing “10,000 Reasons” again, this time with feeling. —Mike Wittmer
Let all that I am praise the Lord; with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name (v.1).
Read Matthew 6:9-13 and consider what it means for the Father’s name to “be kept holy.”
What have you said or done today that has added to the fame of your heavenly Father? What have you said or done that has diminished His glory in the eyes of some?
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more
- Two-Winged Sun - What Scriptures inspire you today?...read more
- What Is God? - Write down three things the Bible tells you about God....read more