The Kingdom We Long ForWhat makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?
Top Music Videos
Friday September 13
actions and adventure
On a recent visit home to the United States, I got my first taste of D-BOX—motion theater seats that pitch you forward and backward, side to side, and up and down in sync with the action depicted on the screen.
I found the experience remarkably similar to driving in Uganda, where I dodge chickens, goats, cattle, bodabodas, matatus, and pedestrians—all while going up, down, and around crater-sized potholes and other obstacles. So while D-BOX was fun, I wonder why I paid for an experience that I get for free on a daily basis!
I’ve found that following Jesus leads me into the thrills of real-life adventure too. Though far more challenging than a D-BOX experience, walking with Him brings challenges and thrills that exceed any simulated ride.
While Jesus doesn’t call everyone to the challenging roads of Africa, He does call each of us to move. “Get up and prepare for action,” the Lord instructed His people in Jeremiah 1:17 “Put into action the generosity that comes from your faith as you understand and experience all the good things we have in Christ,” Paul urged in Philemon 1:6. For when our faith and actions work together, our actions make our “faith complete” (James 2:22).
Before launching out, however, remember that to accomplish even more than we could hope for, our first action should be to offer ourselves to Jesus and to the people we’re called to serve (2 Corinthians 8:5).
It’s true. Our actions reveal God working in and through us, and they bring His hope to others (1 John 3:18-19). Let’s show that we belong to the truth, and to God, by following His action-oriented commands (vv.11,23-24). —Roxanne Robbins
1 John 3:11-20
Our actions will show that we belong to the truth (v.19).
Read Deuteronomy 11:8 and see how obeying God’s commands is an important step in preparing for the actions He wants you to take.
How would you describe someone living an adventurous life for Jesus? What actions will you take for Him this week?
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more