Treasure that LastsWhat legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?
Top Christian Music Videos
Friday September 13
actions and adventure
On a recent visit home to the United States, I got my first taste of D-BOX—motion theater seats that pitch you forward and backward, side to side, and up and down in sync with the action depicted on the screen.
I found the experience remarkably similar to driving in Uganda, where I dodge chickens, goats, cattle, bodabodas, matatus, and pedestrians—all while going up, down, and around crater-sized potholes and other obstacles. So while D-BOX was fun, I wonder why I paid for an experience that I get for free on a daily basis!
I’ve found that following Jesus leads me into the thrills of real-life adventure too. Though far more challenging than a D-BOX experience, walking with Him brings challenges and thrills that exceed any simulated ride.
While Jesus doesn’t call everyone to the challenging roads of Africa, He does call each of us to move. “Get up and prepare for action,” the Lord instructed His people in Jeremiah 1:17 “Put into action the generosity that comes from your faith as you understand and experience all the good things we have in Christ,” Paul urged in Philemon 1:6. For when our faith and actions work together, our actions make our “faith complete” (James 2:22).
Before launching out, however, remember that to accomplish even more than we could hope for, our first action should be to offer ourselves to Jesus and to the people we’re called to serve (2 Corinthians 8:5).
It’s true. Our actions reveal God working in and through us, and they bring His hope to others (1 John 3:18-19). Let’s show that we belong to the truth, and to God, by following His action-oriented commands (vv.11,23-24). —Roxanne Robbins
1 John 3:11-20
Our actions will show that we belong to the truth (v.19).
Read Deuteronomy 11:8 and see how obeying God’s commands is an important step in preparing for the actions He wants you to take.
How would you describe someone living an adventurous life for Jesus? What actions will you take for Him this week?
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more