Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
Friday September 13
actions and adventure
On a recent visit home to the United States, I got my first taste of D-BOX—motion theater seats that pitch you forward and backward, side to side, and up and down in sync with the action depicted on the screen.
I found the experience remarkably similar to driving in Uganda, where I dodge chickens, goats, cattle, bodabodas, matatus, and pedestrians—all while going up, down, and around crater-sized potholes and other obstacles. So while D-BOX was fun, I wonder why I paid for an experience that I get for free on a daily basis!
I’ve found that following Jesus leads me into the thrills of real-life adventure too. Though far more challenging than a D-BOX experience, walking with Him brings challenges and thrills that exceed any simulated ride.
While Jesus doesn’t call everyone to the challenging roads of Africa, He does call each of us to move. “Get up and prepare for action,” the Lord instructed His people in Jeremiah 1:17 “Put into action the generosity that comes from your faith as you understand and experience all the good things we have in Christ,” Paul urged in Philemon 1:6. For when our faith and actions work together, our actions make our “faith complete” (James 2:22).
Before launching out, however, remember that to accomplish even more than we could hope for, our first action should be to offer ourselves to Jesus and to the people we’re called to serve (2 Corinthians 8:5).
It’s true. Our actions reveal God working in and through us, and they bring His hope to others (1 John 3:18-19). Let’s show that we belong to the truth, and to God, by following His action-oriented commands (vv.11,23-24). —Roxanne Robbins
1 John 3:11-20
Our actions will show that we belong to the truth (v.19).
Read Deuteronomy 11:8 and see how obeying God’s commands is an important step in preparing for the actions He wants you to take.
How would you describe someone living an adventurous life for Jesus? What actions will you take for Him this week?
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more