A Little FartherDo you hear much about lament in your local church?
Top Christian Music Videos
Friday September 13
actions and adventure
On a recent visit home to the United States, I got my first taste of D-BOX—motion theater seats that pitch you forward and backward, side to side, and up and down in sync with the action depicted on the screen.
I found the experience remarkably similar to driving in Uganda, where I dodge chickens, goats, cattle, bodabodas, matatus, and pedestrians—all while going up, down, and around crater-sized potholes and other obstacles. So while D-BOX was fun, I wonder why I paid for an experience that I get for free on a daily basis!
I’ve found that following Jesus leads me into the thrills of real-life adventure too. Though far more challenging than a D-BOX experience, walking with Him brings challenges and thrills that exceed any simulated ride.
While Jesus doesn’t call everyone to the challenging roads of Africa, He does call each of us to move. “Get up and prepare for action,” the Lord instructed His people in Jeremiah 1:17 “Put into action the generosity that comes from your faith as you understand and experience all the good things we have in Christ,” Paul urged in Philemon 1:6. For when our faith and actions work together, our actions make our “faith complete” (James 2:22).
Before launching out, however, remember that to accomplish even more than we could hope for, our first action should be to offer ourselves to Jesus and to the people we’re called to serve (2 Corinthians 8:5).
It’s true. Our actions reveal God working in and through us, and they bring His hope to others (1 John 3:18-19). Let’s show that we belong to the truth, and to God, by following His action-oriented commands (vv.11,23-24). —Roxanne Robbins
1 John 3:11-20
Our actions will show that we belong to the truth (v.19).
Read Deuteronomy 11:8 and see how obeying God’s commands is an important step in preparing for the actions He wants you to take.
How would you describe someone living an adventurous life for Jesus? What actions will you take for Him this week?
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more