Taking on Too MuchWhat are you trying to take on that only God can do
Top Music Videos
SUNDAY, JANUARY 1
A Better Song
Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives (v.25). In Greek mythology, the island of Sirens was where beautiful temptresses ensnared passing sailors with their sweet songs. The music led the men to the shore where they were shipwrecked and destroyed. Odysseus ordered his men to plug their ears with beeswax, but being curious and to avoid being tempted, he instructed them to bind him to the mast. Upon hearing the song of the Sirens, Odysseus commanded his crew to release him, but they refused and bound him tighter. Jason of the Argonauts, on the other hand, hired a skilled musician to play a tune as his ship sailed within earshot of Sirens. His boat floated by with the crew unaffected by the alluring tunes.
They enjoyed a better song.
Although millions around the world have made resolutions to “change their tune” in the New Year, it won’t take long for old habits to return. Perhaps, like Odysseus, you’ve tried to escape “anything that stimulates youthful lusts” (2 Timothy 2:22). True freedom from bad habits, however, can never be won by binding willpower and through determination alone. The apostle Paul reminds us that freedom from one pleasure can only come as we pursue greater pleasures: “righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace” (Galatians 5:22).
Paul reminds us to “let the Holy Spirit guide [our] lives. Then [we] won’t be doing what [our] sinful nature craves” (v.16). The bad habits that held us back last year will continue to slow us down this year unless we follow the “better song” of the Holy Spirit (vv.22-23). As followers of Jesus, we’ve “nailed the passions and desires of [our] sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives” (vv.24-25). By the Spirit’s power, we can make beautiful music for Christ! —Ruth O’Reilly-Smith
Read Romans 8:14 to see what it means to be led by “the Spirit of God.”
Are you frustrated at your inability to walk free from addictions and other things that keep tripping you up? What will happen if you grow in your love for God and submit to the Spirit’s leading?
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more