Everyone Has a StoryWho needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today.
Top Music Videos
SUNDAY, JANUARY 1
A Better Song
Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives (v.25). In Greek mythology, the island of Sirens was where beautiful temptresses ensnared passing sailors with their sweet songs. The music led the men to the shore where they were shipwrecked and destroyed. Odysseus ordered his men to plug their ears with beeswax, but being curious and to avoid being tempted, he instructed them to bind him to the mast. Upon hearing the song of the Sirens, Odysseus commanded his crew to release him, but they refused and bound him tighter. Jason of the Argonauts, on the other hand, hired a skilled musician to play a tune as his ship sailed within earshot of Sirens. His boat floated by with the crew unaffected by the alluring tunes.
They enjoyed a better song.
Although millions around the world have made resolutions to “change their tune” in the New Year, it won’t take long for old habits to return. Perhaps, like Odysseus, you’ve tried to escape “anything that stimulates youthful lusts” (2 Timothy 2:22). True freedom from bad habits, however, can never be won by binding willpower and through determination alone. The apostle Paul reminds us that freedom from one pleasure can only come as we pursue greater pleasures: “righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace” (Galatians 5:22).
Paul reminds us to “let the Holy Spirit guide [our] lives. Then [we] won’t be doing what [our] sinful nature craves” (v.16). The bad habits that held us back last year will continue to slow us down this year unless we follow the “better song” of the Holy Spirit (vv.22-23). As followers of Jesus, we’ve “nailed the passions and desires of [our] sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives” (vv.24-25). By the Spirit’s power, we can make beautiful music for Christ! —Ruth O’Reilly-Smith
Read Romans 8:14 to see what it means to be led by “the Spirit of God.”
Are you frustrated at your inability to walk free from addictions and other things that keep tripping you up? What will happen if you grow in your love for God and submit to the Spirit’s leading?
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more
- Driving for Peace - Who have you been engaged in conflict with recently?...read more