DistractionWhat’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?
Top Christian Music Videos
Thursday September 5
Peter Chiarelli, a 4-star general and the second highest-ranking US Army officer, attended a Washington, DC, dinner last year. Valerie Jarrett, a presidential adviser, was seated at a table when Chiarelli passed behind her. Chiarelli’s uniform had a stripe down the side of the pants, almost identical to the wait staff’s uniform. Seeing only his striped pants, Valerie asked General Chiarelli for a beverage. Without skipping a beat, the general picked up Jarrett’s order and brought it to her. She was mortified at her mistake, but Chiarelli brushed the mishap off. He even invited her to join his family for dinner at his home.
Paul makes an astounding declaration about our true identity, announcing that we “have been raised to new life with Christ” (Colossians 3:1). All who have “died with Christ” have been made new by God (2:20). Paul doesn’t say we might be raised to new life. Rather, He declares our union with Christ as an accomplished fact. We who were drowning in death are now filled to the brim with life.
This splendid existence describes who we truly are. This is the core truth about us. We might not fully recognize this reality. Others might miss the extent of all the newness and goodness God has placed within us. No matter, God sees what is true, and He calls us to live out this truth: “Set your sights on the realities of heaven” (3:1).
The old life that clings to us will surely fall away. It’s a doomed relic of the era of death from which we’ve been rescued. Now “Christ...is [our] life,” and God promises that one day we “will share in all His glory” (v.4). Make no mistake; our true identity is found in Jesus. —Winn Collier
Your real life is hidden with Christ in God (v.3).
Read Galatians 2:20-21. What has died and what is new? What does this say about your true identity?
Why do you sometimes find it difficult to believe that God has put something new and beautiful in you? What might hinder this newness from emerging more fully in your life?
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more
- How Much God Loves You - What prevents you from accepting God’s love?...read more