Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
Wednesday October 9
tale of two sons
A mother asks her two sons to clean their room. The first yells, “Don’t be such a nag, Mom!” and locks himself in his room. Later he feels bad and decides to clean his room. The second says, “Yeah, Mom, anything for you,” but continues to play his video games.
A boss tells two employees to submit their report before they knock off work. One replies, “That’s impossible!” but stays overtime to complete the report. The other says, “Sure, no problem,” and conveniently forgets about it.
The above two stories are modern renditions of an old tale—a parable Jesus told. It was an indictment of the religious leaders who were long on talk, but short on obedience. Fundamentally, it addresses this question: How do we respond to authority? More important, how do we respond to Jesus’ authority?
The scum of society—the tax collectors and prostitutes— were received into the kingdom of God because they believed and submitted to the authority of Christ (Matthew 21:31-32). The religious leaders, who thought they were the most spiritual men in Israel, were rejected because—though they could talk a good religious talk—they spurned Jesus’ authority.
Submission to God’s authority in Christ demands more than mere words. It’s a call to obey Him. God, who sees our hearts, is not impressed with outward profession that doesn’t translate into obedience.
There’s also a lesson here for those who have doubts and questions about faith. Be honest. Make sure that your questions and struggles come from a sincere desire to know the truth about Jesus and not from a desire to put off the decision to turn from your sin and place your trust in Him. —Poh Fang Chia
Not everyone who calls out to me, “Lord! Lord!” will enter the kingdom of heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter (7:21).
Read Ezekiel 18:25-32 for a warning as well as the encouragement to repent and submit to God’s authority.
Which of the two sons mentioned in Matthew 21 best represents you? How will you respond to Jesus’ authority today?
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more