The Gentle WayWhat does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Wednesday October 9
tale of two sons
A mother asks her two sons to clean their room. The first yells, “Don’t be such a nag, Mom!” and locks himself in his room. Later he feels bad and decides to clean his room. The second says, “Yeah, Mom, anything for you,” but continues to play his video games.
A boss tells two employees to submit their report before they knock off work. One replies, “That’s impossible!” but stays overtime to complete the report. The other says, “Sure, no problem,” and conveniently forgets about it.
The above two stories are modern renditions of an old tale—a parable Jesus told. It was an indictment of the religious leaders who were long on talk, but short on obedience. Fundamentally, it addresses this question: How do we respond to authority? More important, how do we respond to Jesus’ authority?
The scum of society—the tax collectors and prostitutes— were received into the kingdom of God because they believed and submitted to the authority of Christ (Matthew 21:31-32). The religious leaders, who thought they were the most spiritual men in Israel, were rejected because—though they could talk a good religious talk—they spurned Jesus’ authority.
Submission to God’s authority in Christ demands more than mere words. It’s a call to obey Him. God, who sees our hearts, is not impressed with outward profession that doesn’t translate into obedience.
There’s also a lesson here for those who have doubts and questions about faith. Be honest. Make sure that your questions and struggles come from a sincere desire to know the truth about Jesus and not from a desire to put off the decision to turn from your sin and place your trust in Him. —Poh Fang Chia
Not everyone who calls out to me, “Lord! Lord!” will enter the kingdom of heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter (7:21).
Read Ezekiel 18:25-32 for a warning as well as the encouragement to repent and submit to God’s authority.
Which of the two sons mentioned in Matthew 21 best represents you? How will you respond to Jesus’ authority today?
- The Gentle Way - What does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?...read more
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more