What's ImportantHow has God been training you lately?
Top Christian Music Videos
Wednesday September 25
friends & enemies
A made-for-TV miniseries chronicled the experiences of the US 1st Marine Division in the Pacific Theater during World War II. The episode of the Marines storming the beaches of Iwo Jima was emotionally difficult to watch. Of the young Marines who survived the barrage of bullets and mortar fire, many froze on the beach in utter terror, not knowing what to do next.
Their understandable fear reminds me of an episode from Elisha’s life (2 Kings 6:8-23). The King of Aram (who was at war with Israel) was out to get Elisha for warning the King of Israel of the Arameans’ military plans (vv.8- 13). After learning of Elisha’s whereabouts, the frustrated king sent a great army to capture him (v.14).
Like the terrified Marines, Elisha’s servant cried out when he saw that the enemy had them surrounded, “Oh, sir, what will we do now?” (v.15). Elisha asked God to reassure his young servant by opening his eyes and letting him see God’s vast army that outnumbered the enemy troops (vv.16-17).
But hold on, the story gets even better. Elisha asked God to blind the enemy army. He then went out and told the enemy that they had surrounded the wrong city, and that he would lead them to the right place. Not knowing it was Elisha, the enemy soldiers followed him to Israel’s capital city, where he turned them over to Israel’s king. Once there, Elisha asked God to restore their sight (2 Kings 6:18-20).
It looked like Elisha set them up, but when Israel’s king wanted to kill them, the prophet said, in essence: “No. Feed them well and send them home.” Elisha’s kindness so moved the Arameans that they stopped raiding Israel’s land (vv.21-23).
Want to make a friend out of an enemy? Try kindness. It sure beats hostility. —Jeff Olson
2 Kings 6:8-23
If your enemies are hungry, give them food to eat. If they are thirsty, give them water to drink (Proverbs 25:21).
Read Romans 12:20 and note Paul’s instruction on how to treat an enemy.
What opportunity do you have to show kindness to an enemy in your life? How will you proceed for Jesus’ sake?
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more