Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
Wednesday September 25
friends & enemies
A made-for-TV miniseries chronicled the experiences of the US 1st Marine Division in the Pacific Theater during World War II. The episode of the Marines storming the beaches of Iwo Jima was emotionally difficult to watch. Of the young Marines who survived the barrage of bullets and mortar fire, many froze on the beach in utter terror, not knowing what to do next.
Their understandable fear reminds me of an episode from Elisha’s life (2 Kings 6:8-23). The King of Aram (who was at war with Israel) was out to get Elisha for warning the King of Israel of the Arameans’ military plans (vv.8- 13). After learning of Elisha’s whereabouts, the frustrated king sent a great army to capture him (v.14).
Like the terrified Marines, Elisha’s servant cried out when he saw that the enemy had them surrounded, “Oh, sir, what will we do now?” (v.15). Elisha asked God to reassure his young servant by opening his eyes and letting him see God’s vast army that outnumbered the enemy troops (vv.16-17).
But hold on, the story gets even better. Elisha asked God to blind the enemy army. He then went out and told the enemy that they had surrounded the wrong city, and that he would lead them to the right place. Not knowing it was Elisha, the enemy soldiers followed him to Israel’s capital city, where he turned them over to Israel’s king. Once there, Elisha asked God to restore their sight (2 Kings 6:18-20).
It looked like Elisha set them up, but when Israel’s king wanted to kill them, the prophet said, in essence: “No. Feed them well and send them home.” Elisha’s kindness so moved the Arameans that they stopped raiding Israel’s land (vv.21-23).
Want to make a friend out of an enemy? Try kindness. It sure beats hostility. —Jeff Olson
2 Kings 6:8-23
If your enemies are hungry, give them food to eat. If they are thirsty, give them water to drink (Proverbs 25:21).
Read Romans 12:20 and note Paul’s instruction on how to treat an enemy.
What opportunity do you have to show kindness to an enemy in your life? How will you proceed for Jesus’ sake?
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more