Tender HeartsHow can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Wednesday September 25
friends & enemies
A made-for-TV miniseries chronicled the experiences of the US 1st Marine Division in the Pacific Theater during World War II. The episode of the Marines storming the beaches of Iwo Jima was emotionally difficult to watch. Of the young Marines who survived the barrage of bullets and mortar fire, many froze on the beach in utter terror, not knowing what to do next.
Their understandable fear reminds me of an episode from Elisha’s life (2 Kings 6:8-23). The King of Aram (who was at war with Israel) was out to get Elisha for warning the King of Israel of the Arameans’ military plans (vv.8- 13). After learning of Elisha’s whereabouts, the frustrated king sent a great army to capture him (v.14).
Like the terrified Marines, Elisha’s servant cried out when he saw that the enemy had them surrounded, “Oh, sir, what will we do now?” (v.15). Elisha asked God to reassure his young servant by opening his eyes and letting him see God’s vast army that outnumbered the enemy troops (vv.16-17).
But hold on, the story gets even better. Elisha asked God to blind the enemy army. He then went out and told the enemy that they had surrounded the wrong city, and that he would lead them to the right place. Not knowing it was Elisha, the enemy soldiers followed him to Israel’s capital city, where he turned them over to Israel’s king. Once there, Elisha asked God to restore their sight (2 Kings 6:18-20).
It looked like Elisha set them up, but when Israel’s king wanted to kill them, the prophet said, in essence: “No. Feed them well and send them home.” Elisha’s kindness so moved the Arameans that they stopped raiding Israel’s land (vv.21-23).
Want to make a friend out of an enemy? Try kindness. It sure beats hostility. —Jeff Olson
2 Kings 6:8-23
If your enemies are hungry, give them food to eat. If they are thirsty, give them water to drink (Proverbs 25:21).
Read Romans 12:20 and note Paul’s instruction on how to treat an enemy.
What opportunity do you have to show kindness to an enemy in your life? How will you proceed for Jesus’ sake?
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more