Starting OverHave you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?
Top Music Videos
Sunday September 8
The problem of evil is the No. 1 reason people give for not believing in God. They assume that a good God would not allow for evil to exist, and an omnipotent God would be able to keep it out, so the existence of evil means God is either not all-good or not all-powerful. And so they conclude that there is no God.
Christians can’t solve the problem of evil—no one can. But we have more to say about it than anyone else. First, theism trumps atheism. Consider the horror of believing that evil exists but God doesn’t. If the world were simply a series of random events, what would keep us from being struck by the ricocheting pinball of death? But we live as if there is a God who governs our world. Every time we leave our homes, we’re assuming that it’s safe enough to venture out.
This belief in God inspired Job to challenge Him, “Tell me the charge You are bringing against me. What do you gain by oppressing me?” (Job 10:2-3). Imagine Job’s plight if he didn’t believe in God. Where would he go with his complaint?
Second, Christianity trumps every other theism. Christians have a transcendent God who makes our lives secure, and we also have a God who suffered and understands what we’re going through. Jesus “understands our weaknesses, for He faced all of the same testings we do” (Hebrews 4:15). And “since He Himself has gone through suffering and testing, He is able to help us when we are being tested” (2:18).
We don’t know why God allows evil, but we know that He too has faced it. No one has suffered more from evil than Jesus. So when you pour out your pain in prayer, you cry out to One who understands. —Mike Wittmer
Job stood up and tore his robe in grief. Then he shaved his head and fell to the ground to worship (1:20).
Read Isaiah 53:1-12 to remember the evil that Jesus endured for you and for me.
What event has shaken your faith in God? How do the death and resurrection of Jesus encourage you to hold on?
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more