Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
Sunday September 8
The problem of evil is the No. 1 reason people give for not believing in God. They assume that a good God would not allow for evil to exist, and an omnipotent God would be able to keep it out, so the existence of evil means God is either not all-good or not all-powerful. And so they conclude that there is no God.
Christians can’t solve the problem of evil—no one can. But we have more to say about it than anyone else. First, theism trumps atheism. Consider the horror of believing that evil exists but God doesn’t. If the world were simply a series of random events, what would keep us from being struck by the ricocheting pinball of death? But we live as if there is a God who governs our world. Every time we leave our homes, we’re assuming that it’s safe enough to venture out.
This belief in God inspired Job to challenge Him, “Tell me the charge You are bringing against me. What do you gain by oppressing me?” (Job 10:2-3). Imagine Job’s plight if he didn’t believe in God. Where would he go with his complaint?
Second, Christianity trumps every other theism. Christians have a transcendent God who makes our lives secure, and we also have a God who suffered and understands what we’re going through. Jesus “understands our weaknesses, for He faced all of the same testings we do” (Hebrews 4:15). And “since He Himself has gone through suffering and testing, He is able to help us when we are being tested” (2:18).
We don’t know why God allows evil, but we know that He too has faced it. No one has suffered more from evil than Jesus. So when you pour out your pain in prayer, you cry out to One who understands. —Mike Wittmer
Job stood up and tore his robe in grief. Then he shaved his head and fell to the ground to worship (1:20).
Read Isaiah 53:1-12 to remember the evil that Jesus endured for you and for me.
What event has shaken your faith in God? How do the death and resurrection of Jesus encourage you to hold on?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more