MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
In 1963, Darryl Hill endured scorn. A wide receiver for the University of Maryland football team, Hill was the first black player to break into the racially segregated Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC). Each week, Hill encountered hostile crowds, with some opposing fans dressed in white Ku Klux Klan robes or holding large dangling nooses. During one game at Wake Forest, Hill faced a particularly vitriolic atmosphere. Brian Piccolo, a Wake player, crossed the field to Hill and led him directly in front of the frothing Wake student section. Piccolo wrapped his arm around Hill, and just stood there with him. Almost instantly, the crowd went silent.
Simple presence with another can be a powerful and healing act. But the truth of God's nearness to His people is something truly stunning and comforting.
Jacob experienced that nearness. Estranged from his family and out in the wilderness on a solitary journey, with no bed to curl up on, Jacob merely "found a stone to rest his head against and lay down to sleep" (Genesis 28:11). What followed was an odd vision from God. Jacob saw stairs leading to heaven with angels moving up and down on them. God stood at the top of the stairs.
His powerful words to Jacob reminded him of his identity. They revealed Jacob's place in his family's narrative. God's words declared the truth that He was the God who had always been with Jacob's fathers. "I am the Lord, the God of your grandfather Abraham, and the God of your father, Isaac" (v.13). And God assured Jacob, as he slept alone on a rock in the dark night, that He would always be with him as well. Always. "I will not leave you," God said (v.15).
When we're alone or tired or despondent, it's easy to feel like we've been left entirely to ourselves. But that's not true. For God is with us. , Winn Collier, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more