FearlessHow can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?
Top Christian Music Videos
Too Great For Words
No one said a word to Job, for they saw that his suffering was too great
for words (v.13).
The pot roast was still steaming in the pan as I
arranged carrots, onions, and potatoes around its
perimeter and then ladled broth over the whole
creation. I nestled it into a basket along with some
bread, fruit salad, and cookies for dessert. The meal was
for a family in our church that was grieving a deeply
painful loss. My heart was heavy as I loaded everything
into my car. I rehearsed what I might say to the family
members, but nothing seemed appropriate.
It’s difficult to know how to comfort hurting people.
When Job’s children died and his wealth and health
vanished, three of his friends tried to ease his sadness.
To show their support, they “traveled from their homes to
comfort and console him” (v.11). Sometimes, just being
present communicates care to heartbroken people.
The Bible also calls us to empathize with those in
pain—to “weep with those who weep” (Romans 12:15).
Job’s friends approached him wailing loudly. “They tore
their robes . . . to show their grief. Then they sat on the
ground with him for seven days and nights” (Job 2:12-
13). They were willing to meet Job in the valley of his
sorrow and become “likeminded” with him.
As they mourned together, no one said a word to
Job because they saw that his suffering was “too great
for words” (v.13). Being silent reduces the chance that
we’ll say the wrong thing—which Job’s buddies did later
on. Their words were so upsetting that Job exclaimed, “Listen . . . to what I am
saying. That’s one consolation you can give me” (21:2). Listening to people lets
them know we care.
If you know someone who is grieving, drop by for a visit, engage in their pain,
and listen when they’re ready to talk. God can use you to bless those who mourn,
so that they will be comforted (Matthew 5:4). —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
What might prevent you from reaching out to hurting people? What
are some ways you could communicate God’s love to a grieving friend?
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more