Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
I was listening to a radio call-in program that was discussing the making and breaking of promises. One presenter summed up the consensus when he said, "Most of us break promises as often as we break pencils. That's just the way of life, and it's what people expect today."
King David didn't see it that way. In 2 Samuel 9 we see his commitment to promises he made some 15 years earlier to Jonathan (1 Samuel 20:14-17). His actions would have astounded the people at that time. For when a new king came to power he usually treated the old royal family as the enemy, totally wiping them out.
In contrast, we see David showing them the "kindness of God" (v.3). How? In verse 7 we see that David offers Mephibosheth protection, provision, and position. David didn't just show him mercy and protect his life, he restored his inheritance. He not only saved him from the shadow of death, but also prepared a place for him at the king's table and treated him like a son.
We see the depth of God's kindness in His promises under the new covenant He made with us. He offers us protection, provision, and position much beyond what David could offer Mephibosheth. He assures us of our salvation when we come in repentance and faith to Jesus Christ, promising to never leave us or forsake us. His provisions for us are Jesus, the Holy Spirit, His Word, His church, and the meeting of our physical and spiritual needs. In His grace He gives us the position of being His children and heirs of eternal life.
David showed extreme grace and mercy, in the eyes of the world, to Mephibosheth, but it is only a faint reflection of the grace and mercy that God shows to us each day. , Kevin Gregory, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more