Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
I was listening to a radio call-in program that was discussing the making and breaking of promises. One presenter summed up the consensus when he said, "Most of us break promises as often as we break pencils. That's just the way of life, and it's what people expect today."
King David didn't see it that way. In 2 Samuel 9 we see his commitment to promises he made some 15 years earlier to Jonathan (1 Samuel 20:14-17). His actions would have astounded the people at that time. For when a new king came to power he usually treated the old royal family as the enemy, totally wiping them out.
In contrast, we see David showing them the "kindness of God" (v.3). How? In verse 7 we see that David offers Mephibosheth protection, provision, and position. David didn't just show him mercy and protect his life, he restored his inheritance. He not only saved him from the shadow of death, but also prepared a place for him at the king's table and treated him like a son.
We see the depth of God's kindness in His promises under the new covenant He made with us. He offers us protection, provision, and position much beyond what David could offer Mephibosheth. He assures us of our salvation when we come in repentance and faith to Jesus Christ, promising to never leave us or forsake us. His provisions for us are Jesus, the Holy Spirit, His Word, His church, and the meeting of our physical and spiritual needs. In His grace He gives us the position of being His children and heirs of eternal life.
David showed extreme grace and mercy, in the eyes of the world, to Mephibosheth, but it is only a faint reflection of the grace and mercy that God shows to us each day. , Kevin Gregory, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more