Offering Refuge and HopeHow can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?
Top Music Videos
When Jesus woke up, He rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Silence! Be still!” Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm (v.39).
On January 12, 2010, Haiti was hit by a magnitude 7.0 earthquake that leveled an estimated 250,000 homes and 30,000 buildings, killing nearly 300,000 people. A cholera outbreak a few months later claimed thousands more lives.
Philosophers have a name for this kind of devastation. They call it natural evil. With its earthquakes, famines, diseases, and afflictions, the world can be a hostile place.
I visited Haiti once, before the quake. There I met many teenage Restaveks—domestic servants—who were treated as slaves. They were overworked by their owners and often beaten when they couldn’t complete their chores because of extreme fatigue. That’s moral evil— evil arising from the human heart. We know all too well how much moral evil infects the world. A Haitian pastor told me about the effects of Vodou (Voo-doo) on its worshipers. Once “possessed by ancestral spirits,” Vodou participants often change personalities, cut themselves, and do other self-destructive acts. We might call this demonic evil—evil from the dark spiritual realm.
Here’s the good news: Jesus came to defeat all three forms of evil! Mark’s gospel opens with Jesus exorcising an evil spirit from a possessed man (Mark 1:21). He did the same for others (Mark 5:1). Jesus combated moral evil by teaching love as the highest virtue (Mark 12:28), promoting the values of faithfulness and servanthood (Mark 10:42), and transforming thieves like Zacchaeus into generous benefactors (Luke 19:1).
And when natural evil broke out, Jesus had the power to quell it. He calmed a raging storm (Mark 4:37), miraculously provided food for the hungry (Mark 6:30), and healed the diseased and broken (Mark 1:40).
Evil met its match in Jesus—and was defeated. One day Jesus will return and eradicate evil entirely. Come, Lord Jesus!
How have you seen Jesus eradicate evil? Why do you think He waits to return?
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more
- “For God’s Sake!” - What have been your responses to particularly painful moments in life?...read more