Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
Clouds of steam poured out from under the hood of my Saab hatchback. I pulled over and made a call for a tow truck. Minutes later, a man approached my car. He wasn't from the towing company, but he said he could fix the problem. Reluctantly, I let the stranger hoist up the hood and peer underneath. He then proceeded to pour water into the car's radiator. It worked! I jotted down his address, intending to mail him a thank-you note with a gift. To my shame, however, I never followed through.
Jesus wasn't thanked at all by nine of the ten men he healed from leprosy. While on His way to Jerusalem, they spotted Him and shouted, "Master, have mercy on us" (v.13). With just a simple command, Christ ended their isolation, renewed their flesh, and rescued them from certain death. When only one of the ten returned to voice his appreciation, Jesus asked him: "Didn't I heal ten men? Where are the other nine? Has no one returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?" (vv.17-18).
Apparently, Jesus notices thankless hearts. Most of us shake our heads and say "tsk, tsk" as we consider the ingrates who took off after being healed.
Still, as much as I want to be like the grateful one, I tend to mimic the other nine instead. My lopsided prayer life proves it, it's heavy on requests for mercy and blessings, but light on gratitude. If you're like me, you may need to focus more on the Giver and less on the good things He supplies. We know that "whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father" (James 1:17). So let's follow the example of the "one in ten" who fell to the ground at Jesus' feet and give thanks to God today (Luke 17:16). , Jennifer Benson Schuldt
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more