LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
Clouds of steam poured out from under the hood of my Saab hatchback. I pulled over and made a call for a tow truck. Minutes later, a man approached my car. He wasn't from the towing company, but he said he could fix the problem. Reluctantly, I let the stranger hoist up the hood and peer underneath. He then proceeded to pour water into the car's radiator. It worked! I jotted down his address, intending to mail him a thank-you note with a gift. To my shame, however, I never followed through.
Jesus wasn't thanked at all by nine of the ten men he healed from leprosy. While on His way to Jerusalem, they spotted Him and shouted, "Master, have mercy on us" (v.13). With just a simple command, Christ ended their isolation, renewed their flesh, and rescued them from certain death. When only one of the ten returned to voice his appreciation, Jesus asked him: "Didn't I heal ten men? Where are the other nine? Has no one returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?" (vv.17-18).
Apparently, Jesus notices thankless hearts. Most of us shake our heads and say "tsk, tsk" as we consider the ingrates who took off after being healed.
Still, as much as I want to be like the grateful one, I tend to mimic the other nine instead. My lopsided prayer life proves it, it's heavy on requests for mercy and blessings, but light on gratitude. If you're like me, you may need to focus more on the Giver and less on the good things He supplies. We know that "whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father" (James 1:17). So let's follow the example of the "one in ten" who fell to the ground at Jesus' feet and give thanks to God today (Luke 17:16). , Jennifer Benson Schuldt
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more