This Present CrisisWhere does your hope come from today?
Top Music Videos
Withering Grass, Fading Flowers
Shout that people are like the grass. Their beauty fades as quickly as the flowers in a field (v.6).
Elton Trueblood, noted Quaker author, educator, philosopher, theologian, former chaplain both to Harvard and Stanford Universities, and advisor to US Presidents Eisenhower and Nixon, wrote 33 books, including the provocative The Predicament of Modern Man (1944). In this book, Trueblood warned of the dangers of a “cut-flower civilization.” He wrote, “Beautiful as cut flowers may be . . . they die because they are severed from their sustaining roots.” Without God, human life is transient and temporary.
Trueblood was not the first to liken mankind to flowers. Nearly 2,700 years earlier, Isaiah was told by God to “shout that people are like the grass. Their beauty fades as quickly as the flowers in a field” (Isaiah 40:6). The frailty and brevity of human existence is graphically represented by the twin metaphors of grass and flowers. Three times God emphatically reminds us that human life is fragile and fleeting: “The grass withers and the flowers fade” (vv.6-8).
Isaiah was to shout this news first: mankind is transitory and mortal. Death is imminent, inevitable, and inescapable (vv.6-8). Man is helplessly hopeless. But Isaiah was to shout even louder the good news (v.9): “Your God is coming!” to rule (v.10) because He cares for you (v.11). The eternal, omnipotent, victorious, sovereign God was coming to rescue and reign over His people (v.10), to be the Good Shepherd who tenderly carries His flock in His arms, gently leading, benevolently providing, and securely protecting His sheep (vv.9-11).
We may be withering and fading, but you and I have become much more perennial and valuable than mere grass and flowers (Matthew 6:26). For, in loving us, saving us, and giving us eternal life, God has bestowed upon us immeasurable value, great significance, indestructibility, immortality, and everlasting glory (Isaiah 43:3).
Read Isaiah 43:3 to discover how much God loves, values, and honors you.
- This Present Crisis - Where does your hope come from today?...read more
- Testing for Truth - Is the Bible the highest source of authority in your life?...read more
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more