Meaning MirageWhere do you typically find meaning in life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Withering Grass, Fading Flowers
Shout that people are like the grass. Their beauty fades as quickly as the flowers in a field (v.6).
Elton Trueblood, noted Quaker author, educator, philosopher, theologian, former chaplain both to Harvard and Stanford Universities, and advisor to US Presidents Eisenhower and Nixon, wrote 33 books, including the provocative The Predicament of Modern Man (1944). In this book, Trueblood warned of the dangers of a “cut-flower civilization.” He wrote, “Beautiful as cut flowers may be . . . they die because they are severed from their sustaining roots.” Without God, human life is transient and temporary.
Trueblood was not the first to liken mankind to flowers. Nearly 2,700 years earlier, Isaiah was told by God to “shout that people are like the grass. Their beauty fades as quickly as the flowers in a field” (Isaiah 40:6). The frailty and brevity of human existence is graphically represented by the twin metaphors of grass and flowers. Three times God emphatically reminds us that human life is fragile and fleeting: “The grass withers and the flowers fade” (vv.6-8).
Isaiah was to shout this news first: mankind is transitory and mortal. Death is imminent, inevitable, and inescapable (vv.6-8). Man is helplessly hopeless. But Isaiah was to shout even louder the good news (v.9): “Your God is coming!” to rule (v.10) because He cares for you (v.11). The eternal, omnipotent, victorious, sovereign God was coming to rescue and reign over His people (v.10), to be the Good Shepherd who tenderly carries His flock in His arms, gently leading, benevolently providing, and securely protecting His sheep (vv.9-11).
We may be withering and fading, but you and I have become much more perennial and valuable than mere grass and flowers (Matthew 6:26). For, in loving us, saving us, and giving us eternal life, God has bestowed upon us immeasurable value, great significance, indestructibility, immortality, and everlasting glory (Isaiah 43:3).
Read Isaiah 43:3 to discover how much God loves, values, and honors you.
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more