Warm WelcomeHow does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?
Top Christian Music Videos
Withering Grass, Fading Flowers
Shout that people are like the grass. Their beauty fades as quickly as the flowers in a field (v.6).
Elton Trueblood, noted Quaker author, educator, philosopher, theologian, former chaplain both to Harvard and Stanford Universities, and advisor to US Presidents Eisenhower and Nixon, wrote 33 books, including the provocative The Predicament of Modern Man (1944). In this book, Trueblood warned of the dangers of a “cut-flower civilization.” He wrote, “Beautiful as cut flowers may be . . . they die because they are severed from their sustaining roots.” Without God, human life is transient and temporary.
Trueblood was not the first to liken mankind to flowers. Nearly 2,700 years earlier, Isaiah was told by God to “shout that people are like the grass. Their beauty fades as quickly as the flowers in a field” (Isaiah 40:6). The frailty and brevity of human existence is graphically represented by the twin metaphors of grass and flowers. Three times God emphatically reminds us that human life is fragile and fleeting: “The grass withers and the flowers fade” (vv.6-8).
Isaiah was to shout this news first: mankind is transitory and mortal. Death is imminent, inevitable, and inescapable (vv.6-8). Man is helplessly hopeless. But Isaiah was to shout even louder the good news (v.9): “Your God is coming!” to rule (v.10) because He cares for you (v.11). The eternal, omnipotent, victorious, sovereign God was coming to rescue and reign over His people (v.10), to be the Good Shepherd who tenderly carries His flock in His arms, gently leading, benevolently providing, and securely protecting His sheep (vv.9-11).
We may be withering and fading, but you and I have become much more perennial and valuable than mere grass and flowers (Matthew 6:26). For, in loving us, saving us, and giving us eternal life, God has bestowed upon us immeasurable value, great significance, indestructibility, immortality, and everlasting glory (Isaiah 43:3).
Read Isaiah 43:3 to discover how much God loves, values, and honors you.
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more