LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
When considering the many dramatic victories recorded in the Bible, many of us will immediately think of David and Goliath. I'm sure you remember that story of a bold, young shepherd who took down a huge Philistine warrior using a slingshot and a ton of confidence in God (1 Samuel 17:1-50). Most of us forget, however, that before David killed the giant, Jonathan (who would become one of David's closest friends), displayed a similar level of courage and trust.
Here's the setting: The army of Israel was in a dangerous bind. The Philistines had assembled a mighty military force that was armed to the teeth and ready to fight. Unarmed and outnumbered by thousands, the men of Israel fled to the hills and hid in caves (1 Samuel 13:6-7).
Eventually Jonathan, the son of Israel's king, got tired of living in fear and decided to take action on his own. He and his armor bearer challenged a Philistine outpost that was strategically positioned high on a cliff. At first glance, it looked like a suicide mission. But Jonathan's view was "nothing can hinder the Lord. He can win a battle whether he has many warriors or only a few!" (1 Samuel 14:6). Through a miraculous chain of events, Jonathan and his companion overtook the Philistine outpost (vv.8-14). Their victory triggered a major panic that swept through the entire Philistine army and led to their defeat (vv.15-20).
Against all odds, God rescued Israel that day. It may not be as obviously dramatic, but God will sometime call us into situations where the odds will seem to be stacked against us. Why all the drama and suspense? Perhaps to increase our awe and confidence in Him. For the one who wins the battle is God, not us. , Jeff Olson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more