Love in ActionHow can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?
Top Christian Music Videos
Let us be thankful and please God by worshiping Him with holy fear and awe (v.28).
Return me to the cross and let me be completely lost
in the wonder of the love that You’ve shown me.
This is everything I want. This is everything I need.
I want this to be my one consuming passion, everything my heart desires.
Lord, I want it all to be for You, Jesus. Be my magnificent obsession.
These lyrics from Steven Curtis Chapman’s song “Magnificent Obsession” reveal the heart of a man consumed with God. Are you and I consumed—even obsessed—with Him? The writer of Hebrews penned some powerful, perspective-changing words that are Steven Curtis-like: “Let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up” (12:1). His passionate plea calls us to toss aside the sin that would consume us—choosing to be obsessed with God instead.
What’s next? We’re called to “[keep] our eyes on Jesus” (v.2) instead of fixating on the spiritually stifling stuff of this world. When we gaze on His face, our minds and hearts are filled with His beauty, His glory, His truth.
Who should inspire us and keep us going? Jesus. We’re to consider “all the hostility He endured” so we won’t “give up” (v.3). As Steven Curtis sings, Return me to the cross and let me be completely lost in the wonder of the love that You’ve shown me. We could add, I willingly give my life—my all—for You, just as You’ve given Your life for me.
Our great God, the only One worthy of our devotion and obsession, is awesome and powerful (vv.25-27). He causes us to drop to our knees and “[worship] Him with holy fear and awe” (v.28).
May we be consumed by God, who “is a devouring fire” (v.29). For He is our magnificent obsession.
Read Matthew 22:37 and consider what Jesus said about what it means to be consumed with Him.
How can you practically reveal that Jesus is your magnificent obsession? What will change if you become more consumed with God?
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more