Prayerful RetreatHow often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Let us be thankful and please God by worshiping Him with holy fear and awe (v.28).
Return me to the cross and let me be completely lost
in the wonder of the love that You’ve shown me.
This is everything I want. This is everything I need.
I want this to be my one consuming passion, everything my heart desires.
Lord, I want it all to be for You, Jesus. Be my magnificent obsession.
These lyrics from Steven Curtis Chapman’s song “Magnificent Obsession” reveal the heart of a man consumed with God. Are you and I consumed—even obsessed—with Him? The writer of Hebrews penned some powerful, perspective-changing words that are Steven Curtis-like: “Let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up” (12:1). His passionate plea calls us to toss aside the sin that would consume us—choosing to be obsessed with God instead.
What’s next? We’re called to “[keep] our eyes on Jesus” (v.2) instead of fixating on the spiritually stifling stuff of this world. When we gaze on His face, our minds and hearts are filled with His beauty, His glory, His truth.
Who should inspire us and keep us going? Jesus. We’re to consider “all the hostility He endured” so we won’t “give up” (v.3). As Steven Curtis sings, Return me to the cross and let me be completely lost in the wonder of the love that You’ve shown me. We could add, I willingly give my life—my all—for You, just as You’ve given Your life for me.
Our great God, the only One worthy of our devotion and obsession, is awesome and powerful (vv.25-27). He causes us to drop to our knees and “[worship] Him with holy fear and awe” (v.28).
May we be consumed by God, who “is a devouring fire” (v.29). For He is our magnificent obsession.
Read Matthew 22:37 and consider what Jesus said about what it means to be consumed with Him.
How can you practically reveal that Jesus is your magnificent obsession? What will change if you become more consumed with God?
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more