Begging the Question?Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?
Top Music Videos
Let us be thankful and please God by worshiping Him with holy fear and awe (v.28).
Return me to the cross and let me be completely lost
in the wonder of the love that You’ve shown me.
This is everything I want. This is everything I need.
I want this to be my one consuming passion, everything my heart desires.
Lord, I want it all to be for You, Jesus. Be my magnificent obsession.
These lyrics from Steven Curtis Chapman’s song “Magnificent Obsession” reveal the heart of a man consumed with God. Are you and I consumed—even obsessed—with Him? The writer of Hebrews penned some powerful, perspective-changing words that are Steven Curtis-like: “Let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up” (12:1). His passionate plea calls us to toss aside the sin that would consume us—choosing to be obsessed with God instead.
What’s next? We’re called to “[keep] our eyes on Jesus” (v.2) instead of fixating on the spiritually stifling stuff of this world. When we gaze on His face, our minds and hearts are filled with His beauty, His glory, His truth.
Who should inspire us and keep us going? Jesus. We’re to consider “all the hostility He endured” so we won’t “give up” (v.3). As Steven Curtis sings, Return me to the cross and let me be completely lost in the wonder of the love that You’ve shown me. We could add, I willingly give my life—my all—for You, just as You’ve given Your life for me.
Our great God, the only One worthy of our devotion and obsession, is awesome and powerful (vv.25-27). He causes us to drop to our knees and “[worship] Him with holy fear and awe” (v.28).
May we be consumed by God, who “is a devouring fire” (v.29). For He is our magnificent obsession.
Read Matthew 22:37 and consider what Jesus said about what it means to be consumed with Him.
How can you practically reveal that Jesus is your magnificent obsession? What will change if you become more consumed with God?
- Begging the Question? - Do you ever feel pressure to share your faith in ways that seem awkward to you?...read more
- Fulfilled - Why is it important to view Old Testament laws through the lens of Jesus’ fulfillment of them?...read more
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more