Treasure that LastsWhat legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?
Top Christian Music Videos
Let us be thankful and please God by worshiping Him with holy fear and awe (v.28).
Return me to the cross and let me be completely lost
in the wonder of the love that You’ve shown me.
This is everything I want. This is everything I need.
I want this to be my one consuming passion, everything my heart desires.
Lord, I want it all to be for You, Jesus. Be my magnificent obsession.
These lyrics from Steven Curtis Chapman’s song “Magnificent Obsession” reveal the heart of a man consumed with God. Are you and I consumed—even obsessed—with Him? The writer of Hebrews penned some powerful, perspective-changing words that are Steven Curtis-like: “Let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up” (12:1). His passionate plea calls us to toss aside the sin that would consume us—choosing to be obsessed with God instead.
What’s next? We’re called to “[keep] our eyes on Jesus” (v.2) instead of fixating on the spiritually stifling stuff of this world. When we gaze on His face, our minds and hearts are filled with His beauty, His glory, His truth.
Who should inspire us and keep us going? Jesus. We’re to consider “all the hostility He endured” so we won’t “give up” (v.3). As Steven Curtis sings, Return me to the cross and let me be completely lost in the wonder of the love that You’ve shown me. We could add, I willingly give my life—my all—for You, just as You’ve given Your life for me.
Our great God, the only One worthy of our devotion and obsession, is awesome and powerful (vv.25-27). He causes us to drop to our knees and “[worship] Him with holy fear and awe” (v.28).
May we be consumed by God, who “is a devouring fire” (v.29). For He is our magnificent obsession.
Read Matthew 22:37 and consider what Jesus said about what it means to be consumed with Him.
How can you practically reveal that Jesus is your magnificent obsession? What will change if you become more consumed with God?
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more