View from a DistanceWhy is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?
Top Christian Music Videos
Let us be thankful and please God by worshiping Him with holy fear and awe (v.28).
Return me to the cross and let me be completely lost
in the wonder of the love that You’ve shown me.
This is everything I want. This is everything I need.
I want this to be my one consuming passion, everything my heart desires.
Lord, I want it all to be for You, Jesus. Be my magnificent obsession.
These lyrics from Steven Curtis Chapman’s song “Magnificent Obsession” reveal the heart of a man consumed with God. Are you and I consumed—even obsessed—with Him? The writer of Hebrews penned some powerful, perspective-changing words that are Steven Curtis-like: “Let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up” (12:1). His passionate plea calls us to toss aside the sin that would consume us—choosing to be obsessed with God instead.
What’s next? We’re called to “[keep] our eyes on Jesus” (v.2) instead of fixating on the spiritually stifling stuff of this world. When we gaze on His face, our minds and hearts are filled with His beauty, His glory, His truth.
Who should inspire us and keep us going? Jesus. We’re to consider “all the hostility He endured” so we won’t “give up” (v.3). As Steven Curtis sings, Return me to the cross and let me be completely lost in the wonder of the love that You’ve shown me. We could add, I willingly give my life—my all—for You, just as You’ve given Your life for me.
Our great God, the only One worthy of our devotion and obsession, is awesome and powerful (vv.25-27). He causes us to drop to our knees and “[worship] Him with holy fear and awe” (v.28).
May we be consumed by God, who “is a devouring fire” (v.29). For He is our magnificent obsession.
Read Matthew 22:37 and consider what Jesus said about what it means to be consumed with Him.
How can you practically reveal that Jesus is your magnificent obsession? What will change if you become more consumed with God?
- View from a Distance - Why is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?...read more
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more