Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
Young Widow’s Rant
He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others (v.4).
I’ve never met Stephanie Olson, but through social media I came across her blog The Young Widow’s Rant. The website reveals that her husband recently died at age 33, leaving Stephanie a young widow (age 30) with two young children. I learned that their son Isaac was about to have a party to celebrate his first birthday and that Stephanie was grieving her husband’s absence.
As I read of Isaac’s upcoming party, the Holy Spirit quickened my heart to join Him in comforting “those who mourn” (Matthew 5:4). So I did, along with the 2 dozen Ugandan children gathered in my living room. Here’s Stephanie’s account of what took place:
“I should have known to put my hope in Him [Jesus Christ]. I finish up, . . . flick on my Facebook page, and there it is. Some children from Uganda, that I do not even know, spelled out what Christ-living is for me. . . . I bet these children know what it means to go without. I bet they can relate in some way to what my son will face as he grows up to find out he didn’t get to know his father. And so, anointed with the Holy Spirit, my sister in Christ—Roxanne—informed me that these children paused Kung Fu Panda, prayed for us, made Isaac a “Happy Birthday, Isaac” banner, took a picture, and posted it on Facebook for us. This is kingdom living! So simple. So impactful. So amazing.”
Far too often, I ignore the Lord’s nudging. This time I responded, and I’m so grateful I did. It was an absolute joy to witness this prayerful and loving exchange between Stephanie Olson and a group of sweet African children.
Thank You, Lord, for inviting us to join You in Your kingdom work that includes comforting those who mourn (2 Corinthians 2:4).
Read Psalms 34:18 and consider how you can imitate God in comforting others.
What kindness can you offer to comfort and refresh a brother or sister in Christ today? Take time to pray for a friend or stranger who’s hurting.
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more