Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
Young Widow’s Rant
He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others (v.4).
I’ve never met Stephanie Olson, but through social media I came across her blog The Young Widow’s Rant. The website reveals that her husband recently died at age 33, leaving Stephanie a young widow (age 30) with two young children. I learned that their son Isaac was about to have a party to celebrate his first birthday and that Stephanie was grieving her husband’s absence.
As I read of Isaac’s upcoming party, the Holy Spirit quickened my heart to join Him in comforting “those who mourn” (Matthew 5:4). So I did, along with the 2 dozen Ugandan children gathered in my living room. Here’s Stephanie’s account of what took place:
“I should have known to put my hope in Him [Jesus Christ]. I finish up, . . . flick on my Facebook page, and there it is. Some children from Uganda, that I do not even know, spelled out what Christ-living is for me. . . . I bet these children know what it means to go without. I bet they can relate in some way to what my son will face as he grows up to find out he didn’t get to know his father. And so, anointed with the Holy Spirit, my sister in Christ—Roxanne—informed me that these children paused Kung Fu Panda, prayed for us, made Isaac a “Happy Birthday, Isaac” banner, took a picture, and posted it on Facebook for us. This is kingdom living! So simple. So impactful. So amazing.”
Far too often, I ignore the Lord’s nudging. This time I responded, and I’m so grateful I did. It was an absolute joy to witness this prayerful and loving exchange between Stephanie Olson and a group of sweet African children.
Thank You, Lord, for inviting us to join You in Your kingdom work that includes comforting those who mourn (2 Corinthians 2:4).
Read Psalms 34:18 and consider how you can imitate God in comforting others.
What kindness can you offer to comfort and refresh a brother or sister in Christ today? Take time to pray for a friend or stranger who’s hurting.
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more