Hidden SinsHow have you been trying to deal with your sin?
Top Music Videos
Young Widow’s Rant
He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others (v.4).
I’ve never met Stephanie Olson, but through social media I came across her blog The Young Widow’s Rant. The website reveals that her husband recently died at age 33, leaving Stephanie a young widow (age 30) with two young children. I learned that their son Isaac was about to have a party to celebrate his first birthday and that Stephanie was grieving her husband’s absence.
As I read of Isaac’s upcoming party, the Holy Spirit quickened my heart to join Him in comforting “those who mourn” (Matthew 5:4). So I did, along with the 2 dozen Ugandan children gathered in my living room. Here’s Stephanie’s account of what took place:
“I should have known to put my hope in Him [Jesus Christ]. I finish up, . . . flick on my Facebook page, and there it is. Some children from Uganda, that I do not even know, spelled out what Christ-living is for me. . . . I bet these children know what it means to go without. I bet they can relate in some way to what my son will face as he grows up to find out he didn’t get to know his father. And so, anointed with the Holy Spirit, my sister in Christ—Roxanne—informed me that these children paused Kung Fu Panda, prayed for us, made Isaac a “Happy Birthday, Isaac” banner, took a picture, and posted it on Facebook for us. This is kingdom living! So simple. So impactful. So amazing.”
Far too often, I ignore the Lord’s nudging. This time I responded, and I’m so grateful I did. It was an absolute joy to witness this prayerful and loving exchange between Stephanie Olson and a group of sweet African children.
Thank You, Lord, for inviting us to join You in Your kingdom work that includes comforting those who mourn (2 Corinthians 2:4).
Read Psalms 34:18 and consider how you can imitate God in comforting others.
What kindness can you offer to comfort and refresh a brother or sister in Christ today? Take time to pray for a friend or stranger who’s hurting.
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more