A Little FartherDo you hear much about lament in your local church?
Top Christian Music Videos
Young Widow’s Rant
He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others (v.4).
I’ve never met Stephanie Olson, but through social media I came across her blog The Young Widow’s Rant. The website reveals that her husband recently died at age 33, leaving Stephanie a young widow (age 30) with two young children. I learned that their son Isaac was about to have a party to celebrate his first birthday and that Stephanie was grieving her husband’s absence.
As I read of Isaac’s upcoming party, the Holy Spirit quickened my heart to join Him in comforting “those who mourn” (Matthew 5:4). So I did, along with the 2 dozen Ugandan children gathered in my living room. Here’s Stephanie’s account of what took place:
“I should have known to put my hope in Him [Jesus Christ]. I finish up, . . . flick on my Facebook page, and there it is. Some children from Uganda, that I do not even know, spelled out what Christ-living is for me. . . . I bet these children know what it means to go without. I bet they can relate in some way to what my son will face as he grows up to find out he didn’t get to know his father. And so, anointed with the Holy Spirit, my sister in Christ—Roxanne—informed me that these children paused Kung Fu Panda, prayed for us, made Isaac a “Happy Birthday, Isaac” banner, took a picture, and posted it on Facebook for us. This is kingdom living! So simple. So impactful. So amazing.”
Far too often, I ignore the Lord’s nudging. This time I responded, and I’m so grateful I did. It was an absolute joy to witness this prayerful and loving exchange between Stephanie Olson and a group of sweet African children.
Thank You, Lord, for inviting us to join You in Your kingdom work that includes comforting those who mourn (2 Corinthians 2:4).
Read Psalms 34:18 and consider how you can imitate God in comforting others.
What kindness can you offer to comfort and refresh a brother or sister in Christ today? Take time to pray for a friend or stranger who’s hurting.
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more