Red HousesWhat has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?
Top Music Videos
Who’s That Dude?
Therefore, God elevated Him to the place of highest honor and gave Him the name above all other names (v.9).
A teenage girl raced up to her high school track coach at the start of a practice. She had some really cool news to share and could hardly contain her excitement. “Hey, Coach,” she blurted out, “last night I made the most important decision of my life!” “Really, what’s that?” the coach asked. She replied, “I accepted . . . um” (pause). Turning to a friend for help, she asked, “What’s that dude’s name?” At that moment, she remembered on her own, “Oh yeah, I accepted Jesus into my life last night.”
Her simple innocence is refreshing, but it’s also telling. She’s not from an unchurched part of the world. She’s from the suburbs of the US. Her story illustrates that we can no longer assume that people are familiar with the story of Jesus—no matter where they might live.
It’s true that a majority of the people around the world have at least heard the name of Jesus. That doesn’t mean, however, that they know much about Him. It’s no longer a given for people to know that Jesus died for the sins of the world (John 3:16). And for many, the name of Jesus is simply a swear word.
The Bible says there will be a day when “at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Philippians 2:10). Until then, don’t be caught off guard by the reality that some people don’t know Him from Adam.
Whether it’s starting at square one or graciously calling into question false, religious stereotypes, as believers in Jesus we’re called to reveal the fullness of His name.
Read Matthew 16:15 to discover Peter’s inspired answer to Jesus’ question, “But who do you say I am?”
What do your unsaved family members and friends know about Jesus? How do you reveal the fullness and reality of Jesus in your life?
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more