The Lost VirtueIn what common circumstances are you most impatient?
Top Christian Music Videos
Apart or a Part
1 Corinthians 12:12
The human body has many parts, but the many parts make up one whole
body. So it is with the body of Christ (v.12).
In The Present Future: Six Tough Questions for the
Church, Reggie McNeal writes, “A growing number
of people are leaving the institutional church for a
new reason. They are not leaving because they have lost
faith. They are leaving the church to preserve their faith.
They contend that the church no longer contributes to
their spiritual development.”
I wonder how the apostle Paul would view this
phenomenon. He provided a biblical framework in
1 Corinthians 12 for how the church should function.
Paul used a living, breathing analogy as he wrote,
“The human body has many parts, but the many parts
make up one whole body. So it is with the body of
Christ” (v.12). In many Bible translations, the last few
words are rendered “so also is Christ.” Perhaps Paul
was trying to drive home to his readers the idea that
“Christ” and “church” could be used interchangeably.
For Christ is the Head of the church, and the church is
how He makes Himself known in the world today.
The apostle goes on to address two common
church problems—the feeling of insignificance and an
independent spirit. “Yes, the body has many different
parts, not just one part” (v.14). Essentially, every part
in the body has an important part to play, and we’re
Next, Paul honed in on personal application. He
wrote, “All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it”
(v.27). So, before we make the decision to leave a local church, we need to
ask first: How will my leaving affect the spiritual development of my brothers
and sisters in this church?
Let’s consider our part before the congregation comes apart.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Nehemiah 3:1for a picture of unity in diversity and how God
used it to do the work that needed to be done.
How will the understanding that you play a significant part in
the body of Christ affect your participation in your local church? What part
will you play?
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more