Taking on Too MuchWhat are you trying to take on that only God can do
Top Music Videos
Apart or a Part
1 Corinthians 12:12
The human body has many parts, but the many parts make up one whole
body. So it is with the body of Christ (v.12).
In The Present Future: Six Tough Questions for the
Church, Reggie McNeal writes, “A growing number
of people are leaving the institutional church for a
new reason. They are not leaving because they have lost
faith. They are leaving the church to preserve their faith.
They contend that the church no longer contributes to
their spiritual development.”
I wonder how the apostle Paul would view this
phenomenon. He provided a biblical framework in
1 Corinthians 12 for how the church should function.
Paul used a living, breathing analogy as he wrote,
“The human body has many parts, but the many parts
make up one whole body. So it is with the body of
Christ” (v.12). In many Bible translations, the last few
words are rendered “so also is Christ.” Perhaps Paul
was trying to drive home to his readers the idea that
“Christ” and “church” could be used interchangeably.
For Christ is the Head of the church, and the church is
how He makes Himself known in the world today.
The apostle goes on to address two common
church problems—the feeling of insignificance and an
independent spirit. “Yes, the body has many different
parts, not just one part” (v.14). Essentially, every part
in the body has an important part to play, and we’re
Next, Paul honed in on personal application. He
wrote, “All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it”
(v.27). So, before we make the decision to leave a local church, we need to
ask first: How will my leaving affect the spiritual development of my brothers
and sisters in this church?
Let’s consider our part before the congregation comes apart.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Nehemiah 3:1for a picture of unity in diversity and how God
used it to do the work that needed to be done.
How will the understanding that you play a significant part in
the body of Christ affect your participation in your local church? What part
will you play?
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more