VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
Apart or a Part
1 Corinthians 12:12
The human body has many parts, but the many parts make up one whole
body. So it is with the body of Christ (v.12).
In The Present Future: Six Tough Questions for the
Church, Reggie McNeal writes, “A growing number
of people are leaving the institutional church for a
new reason. They are not leaving because they have lost
faith. They are leaving the church to preserve their faith.
They contend that the church no longer contributes to
their spiritual development.”
I wonder how the apostle Paul would view this
phenomenon. He provided a biblical framework in
1 Corinthians 12 for how the church should function.
Paul used a living, breathing analogy as he wrote,
“The human body has many parts, but the many parts
make up one whole body. So it is with the body of
Christ” (v.12). In many Bible translations, the last few
words are rendered “so also is Christ.” Perhaps Paul
was trying to drive home to his readers the idea that
“Christ” and “church” could be used interchangeably.
For Christ is the Head of the church, and the church is
how He makes Himself known in the world today.
The apostle goes on to address two common
church problems—the feeling of insignificance and an
independent spirit. “Yes, the body has many different
parts, not just one part” (v.14). Essentially, every part
in the body has an important part to play, and we’re
Next, Paul honed in on personal application. He
wrote, “All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it”
(v.27). So, before we make the decision to leave a local church, we need to
ask first: How will my leaving affect the spiritual development of my brothers
and sisters in this church?
Let’s consider our part before the congregation comes apart.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Nehemiah 3:1for a picture of unity in diversity and how God
used it to do the work that needed to be done.
How will the understanding that you play a significant part in
the body of Christ affect your participation in your local church? What part
will you play?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more