Warm WelcomeHow does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?
Top Christian Music Videos
Apart or a Part
1 Corinthians 12:12
The human body has many parts, but the many parts make up one whole
body. So it is with the body of Christ (v.12).
In The Present Future: Six Tough Questions for the
Church, Reggie McNeal writes, “A growing number
of people are leaving the institutional church for a
new reason. They are not leaving because they have lost
faith. They are leaving the church to preserve their faith.
They contend that the church no longer contributes to
their spiritual development.”
I wonder how the apostle Paul would view this
phenomenon. He provided a biblical framework in
1 Corinthians 12 for how the church should function.
Paul used a living, breathing analogy as he wrote,
“The human body has many parts, but the many parts
make up one whole body. So it is with the body of
Christ” (v.12). In many Bible translations, the last few
words are rendered “so also is Christ.” Perhaps Paul
was trying to drive home to his readers the idea that
“Christ” and “church” could be used interchangeably.
For Christ is the Head of the church, and the church is
how He makes Himself known in the world today.
The apostle goes on to address two common
church problems—the feeling of insignificance and an
independent spirit. “Yes, the body has many different
parts, not just one part” (v.14). Essentially, every part
in the body has an important part to play, and we’re
Next, Paul honed in on personal application. He
wrote, “All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it”
(v.27). So, before we make the decision to leave a local church, we need to
ask first: How will my leaving affect the spiritual development of my brothers
and sisters in this church?
Let’s consider our part before the congregation comes apart.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Nehemiah 3:1for a picture of unity in diversity and how God
used it to do the work that needed to be done.
How will the understanding that you play a significant part in
the body of Christ affect your participation in your local church? What part
will you play?
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more