What's ImportantHow has God been training you lately?
Top Christian Music Videos
Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with
whatever I have (v.11).
Whenever a friend succeeds,” Gore Vidal once
said, ”a little something in me dies.” The
words are sad, because a life lived in envy
leaves little room for joy. But don’t Vidal’s words reflect
our own feelings at times?
Every person who longs to be married knows that
sinking feeling when yet another friend becomes
engaged. Every childless couple feels a stab of grief
when yet another pregnancy is announced. Every sick
person who has prayed for healing feels the confusion
when hearing another’s miraculous testimony of being
healed. Why them and not me, God? we whisper inside,
as we put on our smiles and hide our sadness. The
apostle Paul tells us to rejoice with those who rejoice
(Romans 12:15), but when others get what we’ve been
denied it can feel like something in us has died.
“I have learned how to be content with whatever
I have,” Paul said (Philippians 4:11). In this case, he
was talking about food and finances (v.12), but we
can read his sentiment more broadly. Paul was single
(1 Corinthians 7:7), he’d been denied healing (2 Cor.
12:7-9), and had often lacked safety, shelter, and sleep
(11:23-29). Yet he could say his weaknesses were his
strength (12:10). How?
Paul revealed his secret to the Philippians: “I can
do everything through Christ, who gives me strength”
(Philippians 4:13). He faced sickness, singleness, loneliness, and sleeplessness
by drawing all he needed from Jesus who dwelt within him.
The most contented people I know have discovered this secret for themselves.
Their enjoyment of God overshadows any loss they’ve known.
“Whenever a friend succeeds,” I want to be able to say, “a little something in
me lives.” May our empty spaces be filled with Jesus today.
Read the apostle Paul’s prayer for power in Ephesians 3:14.
Read it slowly as your own prayer, knowing that God’s answer to it
When have you experienced grief or envy over another’s success?
What will you ask of Jesus as you seek to have your empty spaces filled
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more