God's MasterpieceWhat does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?
Top Christian Music Videos
O Lord, how long will You forget me? Forever? (v.1).
One day, a taxi dropped world-renowned cellist
Yo-Yo Ma off at New York City’s Peninsula
Hotel. But as the cab drove off, Yo-Yo realized
he had left his cello in its backseat. It was worth 2.5
million dollars! The hotel staff jumped to action. As
one reporter put it, they “put on their own virtuoso
performance, contacting officials all over town in order
to track down the missing instrument.” After the cello was
returned unharmed, I suspect that Yo-Yo resolved never
to forget it again.
The psalmist echoed a lamenting prayer, wondering
if God had forgotten him. “How long . . .?” he asked
(v.1). In his words, we hear the ache of a long season of
disappointment, accompanied by doubts that perhaps—
this time—God will not act. His life is in turmoil, and
God, it seems to him, is merely looking “the other way”
(v.1). He thinks, Perhaps this time God has finally and
completely forgotten me.
A plain, poignant question resonates with many of us:
“How long must I struggle?” (v.2). How long will our
finances be a constant battle? How long will our kids
make poor choices? How long will our family be on the
brink of ripping apart? How long will I be alone? How
long will I struggle with this addiction? How long will I
be afraid or sick or despairing? How long?
Are we completely and forever forgotten? It’s a
terrifying question, and we’re right to wrestle with it. But then the psalmist’s
gaze returned to God, a posture of hope and dependence (v.3). And as he
remembered Him (and God’s character and God’s past action), his heart was
renewed. “I trust in Your unfailing love,” he said (v.5).
God has not forgotten us. His love will not allow that.
Look over Habakkuk 1:1. What is the source of the prophet’s “How
long . . . ?” complaint? What is the Lord’s reply? Why do you feel the
prophet took his concern to God?
Where in your life do you fear that God has forgotten you? How does
God’s character and love speak to this fear?
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more