Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
O Lord, how long will You forget me? Forever? (v.1).
One day, a taxi dropped world-renowned cellist
Yo-Yo Ma off at New York City’s Peninsula
Hotel. But as the cab drove off, Yo-Yo realized
he had left his cello in its backseat. It was worth 2.5
million dollars! The hotel staff jumped to action. As
one reporter put it, they “put on their own virtuoso
performance, contacting officials all over town in order
to track down the missing instrument.” After the cello was
returned unharmed, I suspect that Yo-Yo resolved never
to forget it again.
The psalmist echoed a lamenting prayer, wondering
if God had forgotten him. “How long . . .?” he asked
(v.1). In his words, we hear the ache of a long season of
disappointment, accompanied by doubts that perhaps—
this time—God will not act. His life is in turmoil, and
God, it seems to him, is merely looking “the other way”
(v.1). He thinks, Perhaps this time God has finally and
completely forgotten me.
A plain, poignant question resonates with many of us:
“How long must I struggle?” (v.2). How long will our
finances be a constant battle? How long will our kids
make poor choices? How long will our family be on the
brink of ripping apart? How long will I be alone? How
long will I struggle with this addiction? How long will I
be afraid or sick or despairing? How long?
Are we completely and forever forgotten? It’s a
terrifying question, and we’re right to wrestle with it. But then the psalmist’s
gaze returned to God, a posture of hope and dependence (v.3). And as he
remembered Him (and God’s character and God’s past action), his heart was
renewed. “I trust in Your unfailing love,” he said (v.5).
God has not forgotten us. His love will not allow that.
Look over Habakkuk 1:1. What is the source of the prophet’s “How
long . . . ?” complaint? What is the Lord’s reply? Why do you feel the
prophet took his concern to God?
Where in your life do you fear that God has forgotten you? How does
God’s character and love speak to this fear?
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more