Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
Are We Safe?
Do you really think you can steal, murder, commit adultery, lie . . .
and then come here and stand before me in my temple and chant, “We
are safe!”—only to go right back to all those evils again? (vv.9-10).
According to a 2010 Pew Forum on Religion report,
53 percent of Christians in the US did not know
that Martin Luther was the person who inspired
the Protestant Reformation. So they wouldn’t know that on
October 31, 1517, in the little German town of Wittenberg,
Luther nailed his 95 Theses on the church door—inviting
scholars to debate the use of indulgences; a practice
Luther believed gave believers a false assurance of their
salvation. Luther spelled out what true salvation is in his first
four Theses: “1. When Jesus said ‘repent’ He meant that
believers should live a whole life repenting. 2. Only God
can give salvation—not a priest. 3. Inwards penitence must
be accompanied with a suitable change in lifestyle. 4. Sin
will always remain until we enter heaven.”
The people of Judah had a false sense of security. They
believed their temple guaranteed their safety (Jeremiah
7:4). Rejecting God’s laws, they lived deceitfully (vv.8-11).
The prophet Jeremiah warned them of their foolishness
and falsehood, stating “It’s a lie!” (v.8). He also made it
clear that the temple of the Lord cannot save (vv.4,8)—
only the Lord of the temple saves (v.5).
The people needed to “quit [their] evil ways” (v.3),
reform, and repent (vv.5-10). They couldn’t “steal,
murder, commit adultery, lie . . . and then come . . . and
stand before [God] in [His] temple and chant, ‘We are
safe!’—only to go right back to all those evils again”!
(vv.9-10). Their “inwards penitence [needed to] be accompanied with a suitable
change in lifestyle” (Luther’s Thesis #3). Only then would God be merciful (v.5).
Only then would they be safe and secure (v.7).
As believers, we must be able to “prove by the way [we] live that [we] have
repented of [our] sins and turned to God” (Matthew 3:8). —K.T. Sim
What has given you a false sense of security? What will you do to turn
to God and experience true safety?
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more