FearlessHow can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?
Top Christian Music Videos
Are We Safe?
Do you really think you can steal, murder, commit adultery, lie . . .
and then come here and stand before me in my temple and chant, “We
are safe!”—only to go right back to all those evils again? (vv.9-10).
According to a 2010 Pew Forum on Religion report,
53 percent of Christians in the US did not know
that Martin Luther was the person who inspired
the Protestant Reformation. So they wouldn’t know that on
October 31, 1517, in the little German town of Wittenberg,
Luther nailed his 95 Theses on the church door—inviting
scholars to debate the use of indulgences; a practice
Luther believed gave believers a false assurance of their
salvation. Luther spelled out what true salvation is in his first
four Theses: “1. When Jesus said ‘repent’ He meant that
believers should live a whole life repenting. 2. Only God
can give salvation—not a priest. 3. Inwards penitence must
be accompanied with a suitable change in lifestyle. 4. Sin
will always remain until we enter heaven.”
The people of Judah had a false sense of security. They
believed their temple guaranteed their safety (Jeremiah
7:4). Rejecting God’s laws, they lived deceitfully (vv.8-11).
The prophet Jeremiah warned them of their foolishness
and falsehood, stating “It’s a lie!” (v.8). He also made it
clear that the temple of the Lord cannot save (vv.4,8)—
only the Lord of the temple saves (v.5).
The people needed to “quit [their] evil ways” (v.3),
reform, and repent (vv.5-10). They couldn’t “steal,
murder, commit adultery, lie . . . and then come . . . and
stand before [God] in [His] temple and chant, ‘We are
safe!’—only to go right back to all those evils again”!
(vv.9-10). Their “inwards penitence [needed to] be accompanied with a suitable
change in lifestyle” (Luther’s Thesis #3). Only then would God be merciful (v.5).
Only then would they be safe and secure (v.7).
As believers, we must be able to “prove by the way [we] live that [we] have
repented of [our] sins and turned to God” (Matthew 3:8). —K.T. Sim
What has given you a false sense of security? What will you do to turn
to God and experience true safety?
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more