The Shepherd's VoiceHave you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?
Top Christian Music Videos
This left Jacob all alone in the camp, and a man came and wrestled
with him until the dawn began to break (v.24).
My boys love to wrestle me. They create names
like Captain Thunder and Tiger Ninja.
Adrenaline peaking, they attack me with
yells, a flurry of boy-energy and with hopes that this
time—this time—they will take me down. I toss them for a
while, even feigning desperation so as not to crush their
dream prematurely. However, I eventually lock them in a
stranglehold until they cry for mercy.
Jacob, returning home after years of hiding out from
his brother Esau, had always been able to scheme
his way in or out of any situation. Jacob’s name
meant “supplanter,” and he had earned a reputation
for his deceptive ways. He swindled Esau out of his
birthright and tricked his blind father Isaac into giving
him the firstborn blessing (Genesis 25, 27). He even
manipulated to gain control of his father-in-law’s cattle
and wealth (31:1). Whatever Jacob wanted, he got.
But then Jacob finally ran into a situation he couldn’t
escape. His servants brought the startling news that
Esau was rushing their way with 400 warriors. And
“Jacob was terrified at the news” (32:7). After years of
scheming, Jacob’s skill and manipulation would do him
no good. Wanting to be alone, he walked into the night.
And “a man” (later we discover he was a manifestation
of God—perhaps even Jesus Himself) leaped out of the
darkness, tackling Jacob (v.24).
And the two fought throughout the night. Near the end, the being “touched
Jacob’s hip and wrenched it out of its socket” (v.25). All Jacob could do was
hang on, a desperate man in need of mercy. And God gave him mercy.
Before Jacob returned home to the extraordinary life God had called him to, he
first needed to be broken. Then, empty of himself, he could be strong in God.
Look back over the passage. Why do you think Jacob kept asking
for the angel’s name? Why do you think he refuses? What connection
does this have with the new name Jacob received?
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more