Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
This left Jacob all alone in the camp, and a man came and wrestled
with him until the dawn began to break (v.24).
My boys love to wrestle me. They create names
like Captain Thunder and Tiger Ninja.
Adrenaline peaking, they attack me with
yells, a flurry of boy-energy and with hopes that this
time—this time—they will take me down. I toss them for a
while, even feigning desperation so as not to crush their
dream prematurely. However, I eventually lock them in a
stranglehold until they cry for mercy.
Jacob, returning home after years of hiding out from
his brother Esau, had always been able to scheme
his way in or out of any situation. Jacob’s name
meant “supplanter,” and he had earned a reputation
for his deceptive ways. He swindled Esau out of his
birthright and tricked his blind father Isaac into giving
him the firstborn blessing (Genesis 25, 27). He even
manipulated to gain control of his father-in-law’s cattle
and wealth (31:1). Whatever Jacob wanted, he got.
But then Jacob finally ran into a situation he couldn’t
escape. His servants brought the startling news that
Esau was rushing their way with 400 warriors. And
“Jacob was terrified at the news” (32:7). After years of
scheming, Jacob’s skill and manipulation would do him
no good. Wanting to be alone, he walked into the night.
And “a man” (later we discover he was a manifestation
of God—perhaps even Jesus Himself) leaped out of the
darkness, tackling Jacob (v.24).
And the two fought throughout the night. Near the end, the being “touched
Jacob’s hip and wrenched it out of its socket” (v.25). All Jacob could do was
hang on, a desperate man in need of mercy. And God gave him mercy.
Before Jacob returned home to the extraordinary life God had called him to, he
first needed to be broken. Then, empty of himself, he could be strong in God.
Look back over the passage. Why do you think Jacob kept asking
for the angel’s name? Why do you think he refuses? What connection
does this have with the new name Jacob received?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more