God's MasterpieceWhat does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?
Top Christian Music Videos
Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be (v.21).
Rumors have swirled and intrigue abounded over the life and bank accounts of Huguette Clark, the reclusive heiress of a vast copper mine fortune. Though she owned mansions, exclusive estates, and posh New York high-rise apartments, Clark lived in a hospital room. She was in good health, but for mysterious reasons chose to live in the hospital—registered under a false name. The last known photograph of Clark was taken in the 1930s. She died in 2011, but continues to be the subject of public fascination. Curious minds want to know: How did Clark use her vast treasure?
Jesus asks us all a similar question. How are we using our treasure? How will we use the many resources and opportunities we are given by Him? Certain treasures endure, and other treasures fade. Sadly, many of us toil solely for the treasures that will ultimately prove worthless. Jesus contrasted treasures on earth and treasures in heaven. Earth, Jesus explained, is the realm where nothing is secure: “where moths eat . . . and rust destroys . . . and where thieves break in and steal” (Matthew 6:19).
Heaven, however, is the realm where everything stands secure because everything is under God’s full rule (v.20). Heaven is God’s kingdom in perfection, without rival. To speak of heaven is to speak of God and of the world as God intends it to be (that is, God’s will on earth as it already is in heaven).
So, when asking if we treasure what is destined for earth or destined for heaven, Jesus is truly asking if we long for the world we can create or for the world only God can create. Do we treasure God, or do we treasure everything else?
We have to choose. Whatever we treasure, we serve (v.21). And, as Jesus plainly said, “No one can serve two masters” (v.24).
Read Luke 18:18-30. What did the man treasure? How did it affect his actions? What did the man’s treasures yield him?
Looking honestly at your hopes and aspirations and how you use your resources, what do you treasure? What would it look like if you were treasuring God?
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more