Choosing to ForgetWhat painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be (v.21).
Rumors have swirled and intrigue abounded over the life and bank accounts of Huguette Clark, the reclusive heiress of a vast copper mine fortune. Though she owned mansions, exclusive estates, and posh New York high-rise apartments, Clark lived in a hospital room. She was in good health, but for mysterious reasons chose to live in the hospital—registered under a false name. The last known photograph of Clark was taken in the 1930s. She died in 2011, but continues to be the subject of public fascination. Curious minds want to know: How did Clark use her vast treasure?
Jesus asks us all a similar question. How are we using our treasure? How will we use the many resources and opportunities we are given by Him? Certain treasures endure, and other treasures fade. Sadly, many of us toil solely for the treasures that will ultimately prove worthless. Jesus contrasted treasures on earth and treasures in heaven. Earth, Jesus explained, is the realm where nothing is secure: “where moths eat . . . and rust destroys . . . and where thieves break in and steal” (Matthew 6:19).
Heaven, however, is the realm where everything stands secure because everything is under God’s full rule (v.20). Heaven is God’s kingdom in perfection, without rival. To speak of heaven is to speak of God and of the world as God intends it to be (that is, God’s will on earth as it already is in heaven).
So, when asking if we treasure what is destined for earth or destined for heaven, Jesus is truly asking if we long for the world we can create or for the world only God can create. Do we treasure God, or do we treasure everything else?
We have to choose. Whatever we treasure, we serve (v.21). And, as Jesus plainly said, “No one can serve two masters” (v.24).
Read Luke 18:18-30. What did the man treasure? How did it affect his actions? What did the man’s treasures yield him?
Looking honestly at your hopes and aspirations and how you use your resources, what do you treasure? What would it look like if you were treasuring God?
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more