Seasons of GriefAre you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?
Top Music Videos
Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be (v.21).
Rumors have swirled and intrigue abounded over the life and bank accounts of Huguette Clark, the reclusive heiress of a vast copper mine fortune. Though she owned mansions, exclusive estates, and posh New York high-rise apartments, Clark lived in a hospital room. She was in good health, but for mysterious reasons chose to live in the hospital—registered under a false name. The last known photograph of Clark was taken in the 1930s. She died in 2011, but continues to be the subject of public fascination. Curious minds want to know: How did Clark use her vast treasure?
Jesus asks us all a similar question. How are we using our treasure? How will we use the many resources and opportunities we are given by Him? Certain treasures endure, and other treasures fade. Sadly, many of us toil solely for the treasures that will ultimately prove worthless. Jesus contrasted treasures on earth and treasures in heaven. Earth, Jesus explained, is the realm where nothing is secure: “where moths eat . . . and rust destroys . . . and where thieves break in and steal” (Matthew 6:19).
Heaven, however, is the realm where everything stands secure because everything is under God’s full rule (v.20). Heaven is God’s kingdom in perfection, without rival. To speak of heaven is to speak of God and of the world as God intends it to be (that is, God’s will on earth as it already is in heaven).
So, when asking if we treasure what is destined for earth or destined for heaven, Jesus is truly asking if we long for the world we can create or for the world only God can create. Do we treasure God, or do we treasure everything else?
We have to choose. Whatever we treasure, we serve (v.21). And, as Jesus plainly said, “No one can serve two masters” (v.24).
Read Luke 18:18-30. What did the man treasure? How did it affect his actions? What did the man’s treasures yield him?
Looking honestly at your hopes and aspirations and how you use your resources, what do you treasure? What would it look like if you were treasuring God?
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more