Tender HeartsHow can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be (v.21).
Rumors have swirled and intrigue abounded over the life and bank accounts of Huguette Clark, the reclusive heiress of a vast copper mine fortune. Though she owned mansions, exclusive estates, and posh New York high-rise apartments, Clark lived in a hospital room. She was in good health, but for mysterious reasons chose to live in the hospital—registered under a false name. The last known photograph of Clark was taken in the 1930s. She died in 2011, but continues to be the subject of public fascination. Curious minds want to know: How did Clark use her vast treasure?
Jesus asks us all a similar question. How are we using our treasure? How will we use the many resources and opportunities we are given by Him? Certain treasures endure, and other treasures fade. Sadly, many of us toil solely for the treasures that will ultimately prove worthless. Jesus contrasted treasures on earth and treasures in heaven. Earth, Jesus explained, is the realm where nothing is secure: “where moths eat . . . and rust destroys . . . and where thieves break in and steal” (Matthew 6:19).
Heaven, however, is the realm where everything stands secure because everything is under God’s full rule (v.20). Heaven is God’s kingdom in perfection, without rival. To speak of heaven is to speak of God and of the world as God intends it to be (that is, God’s will on earth as it already is in heaven).
So, when asking if we treasure what is destined for earth or destined for heaven, Jesus is truly asking if we long for the world we can create or for the world only God can create. Do we treasure God, or do we treasure everything else?
We have to choose. Whatever we treasure, we serve (v.21). And, as Jesus plainly said, “No one can serve two masters” (v.24).
Read Luke 18:18-30. What did the man treasure? How did it affect his actions? What did the man’s treasures yield him?
Looking honestly at your hopes and aspirations and how you use your resources, what do you treasure? What would it look like if you were treasuring God?
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more