Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
I once knew a guy who liked to say, "The clothes make the man." He dressed impeccably and enjoyed strutting into meetings in his fine-tailored trappings. Sadly, his personal and professional life later unraveled, revealing a very tattered and torn character within.
In Revelation 19, we see two drastically different styles of dress. In preparation for the wedding of the Lamb, where the church is united with Jesus her Savior, she is wearing "the finest of pure white linen" (v.8). The writer of Revelation, John, explains that the pure white dress "represents the good deeds of God's holy people." By God's grace, we, the church, will one day be adorned in clothing that has been "woven" by the deeds we have done for Jesus. The importance of living holy and righteous lives for Him now is vividly seen in this vision given to John.
Jesus, unlike the white of His bride, the church, is seen wearing a piece of clothing that has been "dipped in blood" (v.13). His crimson covering shows that Jesus is the great destroyer of Babylon (ch.18), and the One whose fury will be unleashed on all the enemies of God (19:11-21). This awesome view of Jesus' wrath is reflected in Isaiah 63:1-6, where the Lord is again adorned in crimson (v.2). He tramples His enemies "as if they were grapes" (v.3).
God's holy wrath is also righteous. He is "named Faithful and True, for He judges fairly" (Revelation 19:11). We are not to be the judge or avenger, only God is (v.2). Our human wrath does not reflect His righteous version (Romans 12:19).
So let's leave revenge and final judgment to Him and let our "good deeds shine out for all to see" (Matthew 5:16). Those works produce the "material" that truly make the man and woman of God. , Tom Felten, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more