Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
Your eye is a lamp that provides light for your body. When your eye is
good, your whole body is filled with light. But when your eye is bad,
your whole body is filled with darkness (vv.22-23).
If you’re reading this devo online, in a few minutes
you might move on to other websites. As you do, pay
attention to what grabs your attention. What pics or
words prompt you to pause for a second look? What
links do you click on, and why?
When Jesus said the eye is the lamp of the body
(Matthew 6:22), He was alluding to the ancient belief
that the eye was an internal fire. Light proceeds from the
eye, interacts with the light emitted from the object of
focus, and then returns through the eye and penetrates
into the heart.
You become like whatever draws your attention. If
your eye is “good,” literally “single” or “simple,” your
commitment to purity and truth will flood your entire
body with light (vv.22-23). But if you play both sides of
the street—if you embrace provocative pictures, rumors,
or vitriol, then your whole body will become shrouded in
darkness. The virtual world can do real damage to your
soul. What items on the Web light up your eyes?
Advertisers use sex, gossip, and greed to create sticky
sites that are difficult to leave. An evil eye will rationalize
hanging around. You know better than to click on that
racy story, but you tell yourself it won’t hurt this once.
And so you awaken the appetite of lust, and now every
time you log on you hope to ogle something new, and
soon your shriveled soul is harboring dark and shameful
Many sites get rich luring people to their destruction, so the most dangerous
thing you can do is mindlessly surf the Web. Take Jesus with you online. When
possible, use the Web in the presence of others. And remember that whatever
lights your eyes can also change you.
What lessons for using the Web can you draw from Proverbs 7:1?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more