Not about FameHow has Jesus changed your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Your eye is a lamp that provides light for your body. When your eye is
good, your whole body is filled with light. But when your eye is bad,
your whole body is filled with darkness (vv.22-23).
If you’re reading this devo online, in a few minutes
you might move on to other websites. As you do, pay
attention to what grabs your attention. What pics or
words prompt you to pause for a second look? What
links do you click on, and why?
When Jesus said the eye is the lamp of the body
(Matthew 6:22), He was alluding to the ancient belief
that the eye was an internal fire. Light proceeds from the
eye, interacts with the light emitted from the object of
focus, and then returns through the eye and penetrates
into the heart.
You become like whatever draws your attention. If
your eye is “good,” literally “single” or “simple,” your
commitment to purity and truth will flood your entire
body with light (vv.22-23). But if you play both sides of
the street—if you embrace provocative pictures, rumors,
or vitriol, then your whole body will become shrouded in
darkness. The virtual world can do real damage to your
soul. What items on the Web light up your eyes?
Advertisers use sex, gossip, and greed to create sticky
sites that are difficult to leave. An evil eye will rationalize
hanging around. You know better than to click on that
racy story, but you tell yourself it won’t hurt this once.
And so you awaken the appetite of lust, and now every
time you log on you hope to ogle something new, and
soon your shriveled soul is harboring dark and shameful
Many sites get rich luring people to their destruction, so the most dangerous
thing you can do is mindlessly surf the Web. Take Jesus with you online. When
possible, use the Web in the presence of others. And remember that whatever
lights your eyes can also change you.
What lessons for using the Web can you draw from Proverbs 7:1?
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more