In the GapWhat has God equipped you with to intercede for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Speak, your servant is listening (v.10).
One day my son Alex and I took a “listening walk” around our neighborhood. We circled the block in silence and then settled on the front step of our house to name the sounds we heard. I mentioned geese honking and the scuffing of our shoes on the sidewalk. Alex talked about a car horn, the grinding of garbage trucks retrieving trash, and an airplane’s engine overhead.
Listening is an important skill. It requires us to abandon our own inner dialogue and to let go of the urge to express our views. Listening has a place in our everyday lives, as well as in our spiritual lives.
As a young boy, the prophet Samuel listened to God. Samuel woke up one night when someone called his name. When he recognized God’s voice (1 Samuel 3:7), he said, “Speak, your servant is listening” (v.10). Samuel’s response was humble and open. He humbly identified his “servant status” before the Lord, and He invited God to continue His message.
Samuel made it possible for God to go on by staying quiet. In fact, Samuel spoke only five words. His silence allowed God to tell him about some impending events (vv.11-14) and showed that the one who speaks less will often listen more.
Proof that Samuel had truly listened to God came the next morning when his superior—Eli the priest—asked what God had said. “Samuel told Eli everything; he didn’t hold anything back” (v.18). Being able to repeat what God says to us shows that we’re tuned in to Him.
Although God spoke to Samuel directly (v.1), He usually speaks to us today through His Word. When we read the Bible, are we open, humble, and silent enough to absorb what He’s saying? Can we share God’s message with others? Is our walk with God a “listening walk”?
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
When was the last time you invited God to speak to you through the reading of His Word? What is the relationship between listening and silence?
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more
- Winning Wars - How has God equipped others to help you make wise decisions?...read more