Cleansing and CallingWhat does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Speak, your servant is listening (v.10).
One day my son Alex and I took a “listening walk” around our neighborhood. We circled the block in silence and then settled on the front step of our house to name the sounds we heard. I mentioned geese honking and the scuffing of our shoes on the sidewalk. Alex talked about a car horn, the grinding of garbage trucks retrieving trash, and an airplane’s engine overhead.
Listening is an important skill. It requires us to abandon our own inner dialogue and to let go of the urge to express our views. Listening has a place in our everyday lives, as well as in our spiritual lives.
As a young boy, the prophet Samuel listened to God. Samuel woke up one night when someone called his name. When he recognized God’s voice (1 Samuel 3:7), he said, “Speak, your servant is listening” (v.10). Samuel’s response was humble and open. He humbly identified his “servant status” before the Lord, and He invited God to continue His message.
Samuel made it possible for God to go on by staying quiet. In fact, Samuel spoke only five words. His silence allowed God to tell him about some impending events (vv.11-14) and showed that the one who speaks less will often listen more.
Proof that Samuel had truly listened to God came the next morning when his superior—Eli the priest—asked what God had said. “Samuel told Eli everything; he didn’t hold anything back” (v.18). Being able to repeat what God says to us shows that we’re tuned in to Him.
Although God spoke to Samuel directly (v.1), He usually speaks to us today through His Word. When we read the Bible, are we open, humble, and silent enough to absorb what He’s saying? Can we share God’s message with others? Is our walk with God a “listening walk”?
—Jennifer Benson Schuldt
When was the last time you invited God to speak to you through the reading of His Word? What is the relationship between listening and silence?
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more