Meaning MirageWhere do you typically find meaning in life?
Top Christian Music Videos
You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless (v.13).
Salt is well-known for two popular uses. We use it as an additive to enhance flavor (think of the saltshaker on your kitchen table), and as a preservative to prevent decay (think of a butcher curing meat to keep it from rotting). Jesus used this metaphor to describe the dual influence everyday people like you and I are to have on the world in His name.
First, we’re to enhance what is good. Wherever we find goodness, beauty, and truth—in our homes, offices, and universities, and in colleagues, politicians, or those in the media—we should affirm it. Most of us know how to voice our disapproval, whether through a forthright comment or a letter of protest. But how many of us write letters of affirmation—going out of our way to encourage a public leader for a good decision?
When we enhance what’s good, we just might find a more welcoming audience when we perform our second influential role—to defeat what is bad. We’re to halt moral decay, to stop society from rotting. We’re to oppose actions, policies, and products that will bring harm to our neighbor, taking a stand against evil. The world may persecute us for this (5:10-12), but we’re called to love and serve those who are against us (vv.43-45). For evangelical statesman John Stott, Matthew 5:13 was Jesus’ call to social justice: protecting the dignity of the individual, providing civil rights for minorities, and abolishing social and racial discrimination. “Whenever Christians are conscientious citizens,” he said, “they are acting like salt in the community.”
Read Romans 12:9 for further guidance on exercising our dual influence in society.
Why do you think Jesus was so firm about our “salt” not losing its “saltiness”? How can you be more potent as a source of salt and light this week?
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more