Next StepsHave you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?
Top Christian Music Videos
You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless (v.13).
Salt is well-known for two popular uses. We use it as an additive to enhance flavor (think of the saltshaker on your kitchen table), and as a preservative to prevent decay (think of a butcher curing meat to keep it from rotting). Jesus used this metaphor to describe the dual influence everyday people like you and I are to have on the world in His name.
First, we’re to enhance what is good. Wherever we find goodness, beauty, and truth—in our homes, offices, and universities, and in colleagues, politicians, or those in the media—we should affirm it. Most of us know how to voice our disapproval, whether through a forthright comment or a letter of protest. But how many of us write letters of affirmation—going out of our way to encourage a public leader for a good decision?
When we enhance what’s good, we just might find a more welcoming audience when we perform our second influential role—to defeat what is bad. We’re to halt moral decay, to stop society from rotting. We’re to oppose actions, policies, and products that will bring harm to our neighbor, taking a stand against evil. The world may persecute us for this (5:10-12), but we’re called to love and serve those who are against us (vv.43-45). For evangelical statesman John Stott, Matthew 5:13 was Jesus’ call to social justice: protecting the dignity of the individual, providing civil rights for minorities, and abolishing social and racial discrimination. “Whenever Christians are conscientious citizens,” he said, “they are acting like salt in the community.”
Read Romans 12:9 for further guidance on exercising our dual influence in society.
Why do you think Jesus was so firm about our “salt” not losing its “saltiness”? How can you be more potent as a source of salt and light this week?
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more