Awaken Your Hope Jesus stirred embers of hope and life within His disciples.
Top Christian Music Videos
When I heard this, I sat down and wept. In fact, for days I mourned, fasted, and prayed to the God of heaven (v.4).
Job description: Rebuild national security. Deal with economic injustice. Snuff out internal strife. Initiate religious reforms. Remuneration: Threats, threats, and more threats.
Would you give up a comfortable job at the “White House” to take this job? Nehemiah did. He left his job as cupbearer and confidant to the king of Persia in order to help the demoralized people in Jerusalem. What moved him?
First, he didn’t allow his comfortable position in life to nullify his concerns for God’s people—his countrymen. He made inquiries. He talked to people who had just come from Jerusalem to find out the condition of the people and the city (Nehemiah 1:2).
Second, he identified himself with the huddled masses. He didn’t simply shake his head and say, “My, my! That’s too bad.” He didn’t go back to his work in Babylon thinking, “What a tragedy!” Nehemiah not only heard about the need of the people, he felt their need. He wept, mourned, fasted, and prayed for days—entreating God to do something about their condition.
Nehemiah’s greatness came from asking great things of a great God and attempting great things in reliance on Him. Recently, I had the wonderful privilege of meeting some modern-day Nehemiahs. A group of Native Americans in the US organized a fund-raising event for a Christian school for autistic children in India. They not only heard the need, they felt the need and responded to it. In contrast, I find that I’m often apathetic to the physical and spiritual conditions around me.
May God open our eyes, ears, and heart to perceive the spiritual landscape around us—giving us a burden for His people, a vision for His purpose, and a commitment to it. —Poh Fang Chia
Read Isaiah 1:11 to see the difference between apathy and true worship.
How does Nehemiah exemplify what it means to be salt and light in the world? Which of his qualities do you need to work on? What will you do to begin pursuing positive change in your life?
- Awaken Your Hope - Jesus stirred embers of hope and life within His disciples....read more
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more