Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
When I heard this, I sat down and wept. In fact, for days I mourned, fasted, and prayed to the God of heaven (v.4).
Job description: Rebuild national security. Deal with economic injustice. Snuff out internal strife. Initiate religious reforms. Remuneration: Threats, threats, and more threats.
Would you give up a comfortable job at the “White House” to take this job? Nehemiah did. He left his job as cupbearer and confidant to the king of Persia in order to help the demoralized people in Jerusalem. What moved him?
First, he didn’t allow his comfortable position in life to nullify his concerns for God’s people—his countrymen. He made inquiries. He talked to people who had just come from Jerusalem to find out the condition of the people and the city (Nehemiah 1:2).
Second, he identified himself with the huddled masses. He didn’t simply shake his head and say, “My, my! That’s too bad.” He didn’t go back to his work in Babylon thinking, “What a tragedy!” Nehemiah not only heard about the need of the people, he felt their need. He wept, mourned, fasted, and prayed for days—entreating God to do something about their condition.
Nehemiah’s greatness came from asking great things of a great God and attempting great things in reliance on Him. Recently, I had the wonderful privilege of meeting some modern-day Nehemiahs. A group of Native Americans in the US organized a fund-raising event for a Christian school for autistic children in India. They not only heard the need, they felt the need and responded to it. In contrast, I find that I’m often apathetic to the physical and spiritual conditions around me.
May God open our eyes, ears, and heart to perceive the spiritual landscape around us—giving us a burden for His people, a vision for His purpose, and a commitment to it. —Poh Fang Chia
Read Isaiah 1:11 to see the difference between apathy and true worship.
How does Nehemiah exemplify what it means to be salt and light in the world? Which of his qualities do you need to work on? What will you do to begin pursuing positive change in your life?
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more