Top Christian Music Videos
When I heard this, I sat down and wept. In fact, for days I mourned, fasted, and prayed to the God of heaven (v.4).
Job description: Rebuild national security. Deal with economic injustice. Snuff out internal strife. Initiate religious reforms. Remuneration: Threats, threats, and more threats.
Would you give up a comfortable job at the “White House” to take this job? Nehemiah did. He left his job as cupbearer and confidant to the king of Persia in order to help the demoralized people in Jerusalem. What moved him?
First, he didn’t allow his comfortable position in life to nullify his concerns for God’s people—his countrymen. He made inquiries. He talked to people who had just come from Jerusalem to find out the condition of the people and the city (Nehemiah 1:2).
Second, he identified himself with the huddled masses. He didn’t simply shake his head and say, “My, my! That’s too bad.” He didn’t go back to his work in Babylon thinking, “What a tragedy!” Nehemiah not only heard about the need of the people, he felt their need. He wept, mourned, fasted, and prayed for days—entreating God to do something about their condition.
Nehemiah’s greatness came from asking great things of a great God and attempting great things in reliance on Him. Recently, I had the wonderful privilege of meeting some modern-day Nehemiahs. A group of Native Americans in the US organized a fund-raising event for a Christian school for autistic children in India. They not only heard the need, they felt the need and responded to it. In contrast, I find that I’m often apathetic to the physical and spiritual conditions around me.
May God open our eyes, ears, and heart to perceive the spiritual landscape around us—giving us a burden for His people, a vision for His purpose, and a commitment to it. —Poh Fang Chia
Read Isaiah 1:11 to see the difference between apathy and true worship.
How does Nehemiah exemplify what it means to be salt and light in the world? Which of his qualities do you need to work on? What will you do to begin pursuing positive change in your life?
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more