Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
Last week my wife had five teeth removed, all in one morning. Ouch. Needless to say, it's been a painful and, due to difficulties with some of the pain medication, nauseating experience for her. As she's been pretty much bedridden over the past several days, my caregiving repertoire has included ice packs, warm washcloths, liquids, soft foods, and simply spending time with her. She has wanted me to be there.
As I've strived to love Lynn sacrificially, I've been reminded of 1 Corinthians 13. This chapter, a perennial favorite for wedding texts, presents God's agape love. Three times in verses 1-3, Paul writes that even if we exercise our spiritual gifts in amazing ways, but don't "love others," it amounts to "nothing."
It is interesting that the "Love Chapter" is sandwiched between two chapters focusing on spiritual gifts and how believers should use them for a "way of life that is best of all" (12:31). Paul's point is that God has given us spiritual gifts to use, but they must be exercised in love, real love that is kind, humble, forgiving, and persevering (vv.4-8).
God reveals that kind of love in the way the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit share a deep and permanent affection for one another. This is the agape that He wants us to show to others, especially our spouses.
If I had simply brought Lynn my "gifts" of comfort this past week, but didn't have God's love in my heart, I would have been a "noisy gong" (v.1) and truly clueless. Loving those closest to us as well as others in the body of Christ requires a sacrificial spirit that flows from God.
It isn't merely bringing your gifts, it's being there because of love. , Tom Felten, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more