Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
I am angry with you and your two friends, for you have not spoken accurately about Me (v.7).
I’m often tongue-tied when I attend a funeral or visit someone in the hospital. As soon as I open my mouth, it concerns me that I’m sounding like one of Job’s friends. They were better comforters when they kept their mouths shut rather than when they opened them (Job 2:11). Their advice and consolation to Job sounded like the exact words I might have spoken. They argued forcefully and their arguments seemed so pious, leading Philip Yancey to comment: “If today we had only Job 3–37, we would judge the three friends as the true heroes of the book.” But God was angry with them (42:7).
So, it occurred to me to simply keep my mouth shut around the grieving and hurting. But that misses the point.
God was not angry with Job’s friends because they opened their mouths but because they hadn’t spoken accurately about Him (vv.7-8). If you and I want to be better comforters, we need to know Jesus better and refrain from attempting to explain the inexplicable.
Sometimes we think that by offering explanations it will alleviate people’s suffering. But there are some answers that only God can provide. When we try to play God, we confound more than we help. In such instances, it’s wiser to humble ourselves before the Lord and affirm with the sufferer that we may not understand God’s ways, but we can trust in His wisdom, power, and love. That was how God answered Job in chapters 38 to 41. He didn’t offer any explanation. He simply reminded Job of who He is.
Oswald Chambers suggests: “The biggest thing you can do for those who are suffering is not to talk platitudes, not to ask questions, but to get into contact with God, and the ‘greater works’ will be done by prayer.”
—Poh Fang Chia
Who is someone you know who needs comfort? How can you lovingly come alongside this person?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more