Top Music Videos
I am angry with you and your two friends, for you have not spoken accurately about Me (v.7).
I’m often tongue-tied when I attend a funeral or visit someone in the hospital. As soon as I open my mouth, it concerns me that I’m sounding like one of Job’s friends. They were better comforters when they kept their mouths shut rather than when they opened them (Job 2:11). Their advice and consolation to Job sounded like the exact words I might have spoken. They argued forcefully and their arguments seemed so pious, leading Philip Yancey to comment: “If today we had only Job 3–37, we would judge the three friends as the true heroes of the book.” But God was angry with them (42:7).
So, it occurred to me to simply keep my mouth shut around the grieving and hurting. But that misses the point.
God was not angry with Job’s friends because they opened their mouths but because they hadn’t spoken accurately about Him (vv.7-8). If you and I want to be better comforters, we need to know Jesus better and refrain from attempting to explain the inexplicable.
Sometimes we think that by offering explanations it will alleviate people’s suffering. But there are some answers that only God can provide. When we try to play God, we confound more than we help. In such instances, it’s wiser to humble ourselves before the Lord and affirm with the sufferer that we may not understand God’s ways, but we can trust in His wisdom, power, and love. That was how God answered Job in chapters 38 to 41. He didn’t offer any explanation. He simply reminded Job of who He is.
Oswald Chambers suggests: “The biggest thing you can do for those who are suffering is not to talk platitudes, not to ask questions, but to get into contact with God, and the ‘greater works’ will be done by prayer.”
—Poh Fang Chia
Who is someone you know who needs comfort? How can you lovingly come alongside this person?
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more