Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
Where there is no vision, the people perish," states the well-known proverb (29:18 KJV). Or, as the New Living Translation puts it: "When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild." In this most simple of statements lies a profound spiritual truth. When we lose sight of God's revealed wisdom, we experience moral decay. Like the Israelites with their golden idol, we descend into "revelry" (Exodus 32:1-6). Like the people of Jeremiah's day, we spiral into injustice (Jeremiah 7:5-10). The cry of the Old Testament prophets was always twofold: God's people have lost their vision of Him, and as a result they are "running wild" to the point of destruction.
This was the situation in Hosea's day. There was no knowledge of God left in the land of Israel (4:1), for the priests and the people had lost their vision of God and His truth (vv.6,9). The city was now filled with murder, theft, and prostitution (vv.2,13). The wealthy were oppressing the poor (Amos 8:4-6). Hosea sums up the situation this way: "Your land is in mourning, and everyone is wasting away" (4:3). Again, when we lose our vision of God and His revealed truth, we experience moral decay. I see this principle at work in my own life. When I lose sight of God through selfishness, busyness, or forgetfulness, I begin to lose control of temptation, worry, and sin. My love for my neighbor diminishes and my concern for the poor declines. The reason is clear: God is our model and His nature is our guide. His holiness fuels our holiness; His love motivates our love; His faithfulness inspires our faithfulness. We become what we worship.
Today, let's ponder Jesus, who gave us the ultimate vision of God (Heb. 1:3). He longs to make us "into His glorious image" (2 Cor. 3:18). , Sheridan Voysey, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more