Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
What church in the New Testament stands out as the model for the rest? This question was asked during a church growth seminar. It was no surprise that no one attempted to give the church in Corinth that honor.
Understandably, everyone said it was the infant church in Jerusalem, described in Acts 2:42-47. But to the apostle Paul, the church in Thessalonica was the model church. He told them, "You have become an example [model, NIV] to all the believers in Greece, throughout both Macedonia and Achaia" (1 Thessalonians 1:7). The church in Thessalonica was characterized by "faithful work, loving deeds," and the "enduring hope" (v.3). The believers boldly proclaimed the good news to people everywhere, even beyond their own country (v.8). They were a model church because they served the Lord faithfully, loved each other deeply, and expectantly longed to see the Lord at His second coming (vv.9-10). They lived changed lives, so radically altered that people felt the impact. Their godly behavior and Christlike conduct (v.6) were doing the talking. Their 100-percent commitment to God is noticed and talked about (vv.8-9). Indeed, they had "turned the world upside down" (Acts 17:6 NKJV).
Paul celebrated the fact that they exhibited a lifestyle produced by faith, a labor motivated by love, and a steadfastness anchored in hope (1 Thessalonians 3). These virtues are indispensable and unmistakable trail markers of Christian growth and maturity. They are like a compass for the maturing Christian, providing direction for the way to go. Believers in Jesus should often evaluate their own faith, love, and hope.
Why? Because Paul said these virtues are eternal. "Three things will last forever, faith, hope, and love, and the greatest of these is love" (1 Corinthians 13:13). What are you modeling to others? , K.T. Sim
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more