MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
What church in the New Testament stands out as the model for the rest? This question was asked during a church growth seminar. It was no surprise that no one attempted to give the church in Corinth that honor.
Understandably, everyone said it was the infant church in Jerusalem, described in Acts 2:42-47. But to the apostle Paul, the church in Thessalonica was the model church. He told them, "You have become an example [model, NIV] to all the believers in Greece, throughout both Macedonia and Achaia" (1 Thessalonians 1:7). The church in Thessalonica was characterized by "faithful work, loving deeds," and the "enduring hope" (v.3). The believers boldly proclaimed the good news to people everywhere, even beyond their own country (v.8). They were a model church because they served the Lord faithfully, loved each other deeply, and expectantly longed to see the Lord at His second coming (vv.9-10). They lived changed lives, so radically altered that people felt the impact. Their godly behavior and Christlike conduct (v.6) were doing the talking. Their 100-percent commitment to God is noticed and talked about (vv.8-9). Indeed, they had "turned the world upside down" (Acts 17:6 NKJV).
Paul celebrated the fact that they exhibited a lifestyle produced by faith, a labor motivated by love, and a steadfastness anchored in hope (1 Thessalonians 3). These virtues are indispensable and unmistakable trail markers of Christian growth and maturity. They are like a compass for the maturing Christian, providing direction for the way to go. Believers in Jesus should often evaluate their own faith, love, and hope.
Why? Because Paul said these virtues are eternal. "Three things will last forever, faith, hope, and love, and the greatest of these is love" (1 Corinthians 13:13). What are you modeling to others? , K.T. Sim
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more