Treasure that LastsWhat legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?
Top Christian Music Videos
The Choice Is Yours
A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one (v.2).
A missionary friend who has lived in Uganda for
nearly 20 years recently told me that his wife
doesn’t enjoy their family’s annual trip to the
United States. The reason? “There are too many choices
there!” she says.
It’s true that—with fewer consumer products at our
disposal—life in Uganda can seem less complicated
than in the Western world. I’ve found, however, that I
still make just as many decisions here as in the US, but
In Uganda, where abject poverty is ever-present, I must
constantly choose how I’m going to respond to the street
kids knocking on my car window. Should I give food to
the hungry neighbors outside my gate? What should I do
for the children I know who are suffering inhumanely in
ill-equipped hospitals nearby?
Where does a person begin in helping Ugandans?
I still wonder after 3 years of living in this country.
Looking to Scripture for answers, I find that God
gives us the same guidance whether we live in a rich
country or a poor one. Ultimately, regardless of our
surroundings, like Joshua, we must first choose each
day “whom to serve.” Will it be the Lord or other gods?
For those who make the choice to serve and fear the
Lord, “He will show them the path they should choose”
(Psalm 25:12). As we follow Him and are enabled to do so by His Holy Spirit,
God will direct us in matters of service and even in purchases we’re considering.
It’s true that we become the slave of whatever or whomever we choose to
obey. “You can be a slave to sin, which leads to death, or you can choose
to obey God, which leads to righteous living” (Romans 6:16). Let’s choose to
follow God today and reach out to others by His power.
Read Proverbs 22:1. Take a few minutes to consider whether you’ve
been pursuing material things more than a God-honoring life.
How does whom or what you serve affect your daily choices? What
choice do you need to bring to God today?
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more