Seasons of GriefAre you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?
Top Music Videos
The Choice Is Yours
A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one (v.2).
A missionary friend who has lived in Uganda for
nearly 20 years recently told me that his wife
doesn’t enjoy their family’s annual trip to the
United States. The reason? “There are too many choices
there!” she says.
It’s true that—with fewer consumer products at our
disposal—life in Uganda can seem less complicated
than in the Western world. I’ve found, however, that I
still make just as many decisions here as in the US, but
In Uganda, where abject poverty is ever-present, I must
constantly choose how I’m going to respond to the street
kids knocking on my car window. Should I give food to
the hungry neighbors outside my gate? What should I do
for the children I know who are suffering inhumanely in
ill-equipped hospitals nearby?
Where does a person begin in helping Ugandans?
I still wonder after 3 years of living in this country.
Looking to Scripture for answers, I find that God
gives us the same guidance whether we live in a rich
country or a poor one. Ultimately, regardless of our
surroundings, like Joshua, we must first choose each
day “whom to serve.” Will it be the Lord or other gods?
For those who make the choice to serve and fear the
Lord, “He will show them the path they should choose”
(Psalm 25:12). As we follow Him and are enabled to do so by His Holy Spirit,
God will direct us in matters of service and even in purchases we’re considering.
It’s true that we become the slave of whatever or whomever we choose to
obey. “You can be a slave to sin, which leads to death, or you can choose
to obey God, which leads to righteous living” (Romans 6:16). Let’s choose to
follow God today and reach out to others by His power.
Read Proverbs 22:1. Take a few minutes to consider whether you’ve
been pursuing material things more than a God-honoring life.
How does whom or what you serve affect your daily choices? What
choice do you need to bring to God today?
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more