The Kingdom We Long ForWhat makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?
Top Music Videos
The Choice Is Yours
A wise person chooses the right road; a fool takes the wrong one (v.2).
A missionary friend who has lived in Uganda for
nearly 20 years recently told me that his wife
doesn’t enjoy their family’s annual trip to the
United States. The reason? “There are too many choices
there!” she says.
It’s true that—with fewer consumer products at our
disposal—life in Uganda can seem less complicated
than in the Western world. I’ve found, however, that I
still make just as many decisions here as in the US, but
In Uganda, where abject poverty is ever-present, I must
constantly choose how I’m going to respond to the street
kids knocking on my car window. Should I give food to
the hungry neighbors outside my gate? What should I do
for the children I know who are suffering inhumanely in
ill-equipped hospitals nearby?
Where does a person begin in helping Ugandans?
I still wonder after 3 years of living in this country.
Looking to Scripture for answers, I find that God
gives us the same guidance whether we live in a rich
country or a poor one. Ultimately, regardless of our
surroundings, like Joshua, we must first choose each
day “whom to serve.” Will it be the Lord or other gods?
For those who make the choice to serve and fear the
Lord, “He will show them the path they should choose”
(Psalm 25:12). As we follow Him and are enabled to do so by His Holy Spirit,
God will direct us in matters of service and even in purchases we’re considering.
It’s true that we become the slave of whatever or whomever we choose to
obey. “You can be a slave to sin, which leads to death, or you can choose
to obey God, which leads to righteous living” (Romans 6:16). Let’s choose to
follow God today and reach out to others by His power.
Read Proverbs 22:1. Take a few minutes to consider whether you’ve
been pursuing material things more than a God-honoring life.
How does whom or what you serve affect your daily choices? What
choice do you need to bring to God today?
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more