Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
Thanks to cornea transplants, some people who were born blind have gained functional use of their eyes. Nevertheless, success is rare. In his book Catching the Light, author Arthur Zajonc described the plight of one young patient this way: "The light of day beckoned, but no light of mind replied within the boy's anxious, open eyes."
In John 9, Jesus healed a man who was born blind. Medically, this is a double miracle. First, there's the miracle of bringing about sight without doing a cornea transplant. Second, the man's mind was illumined so that it could process what his eyes were viewing. But the greatest miracle is the healed man's profession of faith (v.38). John's account reveals that Jesus is the light of the world (v.5), and He can bring light to our eyes and to our souls, physically and spiritually (v.39).
The thought of physical blindness scares me. I imagine myself groping in darkness, unable to see the beauty of my surroundings. That was our spiritual state before Jesus came into our life. Man, by nature, is spiritually blind. Without God's illumination, we can't see Jesus' beauty or the hope of eternal life. And no transplant or human effort can cure this disease.
But Jesus can! He came to fulfill the messianic promise that "when He comes, He will open the eyes of the blind" (Isaiah 35:5).
The story of Jesus healing the blind man ends with a splendid reversal of roles: The man, who was assumed to be in spiritual darkness, could see God's light, while the Pharisees, who could see physically and were thought to be enlightened, were shown to be spiritually blind (v.41). What's the message? To recognize that Jesus is the source of light and life, He opens our spiritual eyes to His beauty and all that is truly real. , Poh Fang Chia, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more