Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
Several years ago, a 30-something new believer attended our worship service. He had long, multicolored, spiked hair. He was dressed in dark clothes and had multiple piercings and tattoos. It was a good thing that only the pastors knew he had AIDS. Some people openly gaped and others just gave him that "It's good to see you in church, but please don't sit next to me" smile and stare. Yet, during the greeting time, there were some who went out of their way to welcome and accept him. They were a wellspring of encouragement to one who had experienced his share of rejection among "Christian" people.
Barnabas was a wellspring of encouragement to Saul, a man who had been rejected because of his past (Acts 9). When Saul arrived in Jerusalem, three years after his conversion, many disciples were afraid of him and doubted his transformation (v.26). For Saul had previously been a vicious persecutor of Christians. But Barnabas, a Jewish convert, saw God's work of grace in Saul's life and became a bridge between him and the apostles (v.27). Saul needed someone to come alongside, encourage, teach, and introduce him to other believers. Barnabas was that bridge and source of encouragement. As a result, Saul was brought into deeper fellowship with the disciples in Jerusalem and was able to preach the gospel freely and boldly there (v.28).
Becoming a bridge and source of encouragement to those who have a sordid past, but whose lives have been changed by God's grace, is risky. Yet, we are called, like Barnabas, to take that risk and make them feel welcomed and valued. God gave His own Son to welcome us into His family. We should be willing to give sacrificially as we encourage and welcome others. , Marvin Williams, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more