Choosing to ForgetWhat painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
My Sister Wisdom
Love wisdom like a sister; make insight a beloved member of your family (v.4).
My twin sister and I are very close. We attended the same schools, and we share many things in common—same room, same wardrobe, and— most importantly—same faith. Aside from God, no one knows me better than she does.
So when I read in Proverbs 7:4 that we’re to “love wisdom like a sister,” my thoughts went immediately to the close relationship I have with my twin sibling. And I’m not too far off, for the Hebrew word for “sister” is a term of endearment that expresses intimacy (Song of Solomon 4:9 NIV).
The metaphor is meant to encourage us to be closely related to and familiar with wisdom and insight, as if they were beloved members of the family. We’re to treat the way of wisdom as a deep commitment and an intimate relationship, not an academic pursuit. For when we “love wisdom like a sister,” she’ll hold us back from courting sin and from walking down the pathway of destruction (Proverbs 7:5).
A case study in Proverbs 7:6 illustrates the point. We read of a young man who made several conscious choices to act foolishly. He unwisely strolled about town, in the wrong place and at the wrong time of night. He was looking for trouble. When an immoral woman approached him and boldly seduced him, he didn’t flee. She flattered him, and he liked it. She enticed him, and he pondered her proposition. She assured him that a night with her would be both sensual and safe, and he believed her.
The writer was intentional when he personified wisdom as a beloved sister and temptation as an immoral woman. When tempted, there are always two voices competing for our attention. Which one do we listen to? The one we love more.
—Poh Fang Chia
What’s the relationship between loving wisdom and fearing God? How can you cultivate your love for wisdom?
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more