Kindness and HospitalityHow are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?
Top Christian Music Videos
My Sister Wisdom
Love wisdom like a sister; make insight a beloved member of your family (v.4).
My twin sister and I are very close. We attended the same schools, and we share many things in common—same room, same wardrobe, and— most importantly—same faith. Aside from God, no one knows me better than she does.
So when I read in Proverbs 7:4 that we’re to “love wisdom like a sister,” my thoughts went immediately to the close relationship I have with my twin sibling. And I’m not too far off, for the Hebrew word for “sister” is a term of endearment that expresses intimacy (Song of Solomon 4:9 NIV).
The metaphor is meant to encourage us to be closely related to and familiar with wisdom and insight, as if they were beloved members of the family. We’re to treat the way of wisdom as a deep commitment and an intimate relationship, not an academic pursuit. For when we “love wisdom like a sister,” she’ll hold us back from courting sin and from walking down the pathway of destruction (Proverbs 7:5).
A case study in Proverbs 7:6 illustrates the point. We read of a young man who made several conscious choices to act foolishly. He unwisely strolled about town, in the wrong place and at the wrong time of night. He was looking for trouble. When an immoral woman approached him and boldly seduced him, he didn’t flee. She flattered him, and he liked it. She enticed him, and he pondered her proposition. She assured him that a night with her would be both sensual and safe, and he believed her.
The writer was intentional when he personified wisdom as a beloved sister and temptation as an immoral woman. When tempted, there are always two voices competing for our attention. Which one do we listen to? The one we love more.
—Poh Fang Chia
What’s the relationship between loving wisdom and fearing God? How can you cultivate your love for wisdom?
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more