True FellowshipWhat comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?
Top Music Videos
My Sister Wisdom
Love wisdom like a sister; make insight a beloved member of your family (v.4).
My twin sister and I are very close. We attended the same schools, and we share many things in common—same room, same wardrobe, and— most importantly—same faith. Aside from God, no one knows me better than she does.
So when I read in Proverbs 7:4 that we’re to “love wisdom like a sister,” my thoughts went immediately to the close relationship I have with my twin sibling. And I’m not too far off, for the Hebrew word for “sister” is a term of endearment that expresses intimacy (Song of Solomon 4:9 NIV).
The metaphor is meant to encourage us to be closely related to and familiar with wisdom and insight, as if they were beloved members of the family. We’re to treat the way of wisdom as a deep commitment and an intimate relationship, not an academic pursuit. For when we “love wisdom like a sister,” she’ll hold us back from courting sin and from walking down the pathway of destruction (Proverbs 7:5).
A case study in Proverbs 7:6 illustrates the point. We read of a young man who made several conscious choices to act foolishly. He unwisely strolled about town, in the wrong place and at the wrong time of night. He was looking for trouble. When an immoral woman approached him and boldly seduced him, he didn’t flee. She flattered him, and he liked it. She enticed him, and he pondered her proposition. She assured him that a night with her would be both sensual and safe, and he believed her.
The writer was intentional when he personified wisdom as a beloved sister and temptation as an immoral woman. When tempted, there are always two voices competing for our attention. Which one do we listen to? The one we love more.
—Poh Fang Chia
What’s the relationship between loving wisdom and fearing God? How can you cultivate your love for wisdom?
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more