Based on a True StoryWhat restoration has God brought to your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Because you have prepared feasts to honor the god of Fate and have offered mixed wine to the god of Destiny, now I will ‘destine’ you for the sword (vv.11-12).
Many professional footballers have pre-game rituals that they believe will help them stay focused and bring them luck during their games. A player for a football team had a superstition that literally reeked. The player slept the night before games in a university T-shirt he hadn’t washed in 11 years. When asked about sleeping in the dirty T-shirt, he replied: “It’s got rips and stuff, but I’m not going to change what I do.” While this pre-game ritual and others may seem benign, fun, quirky, and harmless, superstitions can easily morph into a value system that is built on unstable foundations.
This is what happened with God’s people. Though He reached out to them with love, they rejected Him and built their lives on the foundation of idolatry (Isaiah 65:1). Among many appalling idolatries (worshiping in “sacred gardens,” consulting the dead, etc.), many Israelites worshiped the pagan gods of Fate and Destiny (v.11) in their attempt to know and secure the future. To try to please the duo, some of God’s people set food and drink before idols. Israel had forgotten that only God knew, controlled and blessed their future. Because His people had chosen to construct their lives on the rickety foundation of fate and destiny, God promised to judge them for their misplaced credulity (vv.6-7). Though some would be judged, those who were loyal to God would be blessed (vv.8-9).
God has called us to be a holy and peculiar people in the world. We can do this by loving, serving and obeying God alone; by confessing our sins of idolatry; by dispelling and rejecting any value system that is built on the unstable foundation of superstition, speculation or luck; and by teaching and living out biblical truth.
Read 1 Timothy 1:3. What strong instruction did Paul give to Timothy regarding ‘myths’ and ‘meaningless speculations’? Why?
What does believing in fate and destiny say about your view of God? How does misplacing your trust ultimately lead to a misdirection of your life? What do you need to submit to God’s control?
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more