Kindness and HospitalityHow are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Because you have prepared feasts to honor the god of Fate and have offered mixed wine to the god of Destiny, now I will ‘destine’ you for the sword (vv.11-12).
Many professional footballers have pre-game rituals that they believe will help them stay focused and bring them luck during their games. A player for a football team had a superstition that literally reeked. The player slept the night before games in a university T-shirt he hadn’t washed in 11 years. When asked about sleeping in the dirty T-shirt, he replied: “It’s got rips and stuff, but I’m not going to change what I do.” While this pre-game ritual and others may seem benign, fun, quirky, and harmless, superstitions can easily morph into a value system that is built on unstable foundations.
This is what happened with God’s people. Though He reached out to them with love, they rejected Him and built their lives on the foundation of idolatry (Isaiah 65:1). Among many appalling idolatries (worshiping in “sacred gardens,” consulting the dead, etc.), many Israelites worshiped the pagan gods of Fate and Destiny (v.11) in their attempt to know and secure the future. To try to please the duo, some of God’s people set food and drink before idols. Israel had forgotten that only God knew, controlled and blessed their future. Because His people had chosen to construct their lives on the rickety foundation of fate and destiny, God promised to judge them for their misplaced credulity (vv.6-7). Though some would be judged, those who were loyal to God would be blessed (vv.8-9).
God has called us to be a holy and peculiar people in the world. We can do this by loving, serving and obeying God alone; by confessing our sins of idolatry; by dispelling and rejecting any value system that is built on the unstable foundation of superstition, speculation or luck; and by teaching and living out biblical truth.
Read 1 Timothy 1:3. What strong instruction did Paul give to Timothy regarding ‘myths’ and ‘meaningless speculations’? Why?
What does believing in fate and destiny say about your view of God? How does misplacing your trust ultimately lead to a misdirection of your life? What do you need to submit to God’s control?
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more