Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
Because you have prepared feasts to honor the god of Fate and have offered mixed wine to the god of Destiny, now I will ‘destine’ you for the sword (vv.11-12).
Many professional footballers have pre-game rituals that they believe will help them stay focused and bring them luck during their games. A player for a football team had a superstition that literally reeked. The player slept the night before games in a university T-shirt he hadn’t washed in 11 years. When asked about sleeping in the dirty T-shirt, he replied: “It’s got rips and stuff, but I’m not going to change what I do.” While this pre-game ritual and others may seem benign, fun, quirky, and harmless, superstitions can easily morph into a value system that is built on unstable foundations.
This is what happened with God’s people. Though He reached out to them with love, they rejected Him and built their lives on the foundation of idolatry (Isaiah 65:1). Among many appalling idolatries (worshiping in “sacred gardens,” consulting the dead, etc.), many Israelites worshiped the pagan gods of Fate and Destiny (v.11) in their attempt to know and secure the future. To try to please the duo, some of God’s people set food and drink before idols. Israel had forgotten that only God knew, controlled and blessed their future. Because His people had chosen to construct their lives on the rickety foundation of fate and destiny, God promised to judge them for their misplaced credulity (vv.6-7). Though some would be judged, those who were loyal to God would be blessed (vv.8-9).
God has called us to be a holy and peculiar people in the world. We can do this by loving, serving and obeying God alone; by confessing our sins of idolatry; by dispelling and rejecting any value system that is built on the unstable foundation of superstition, speculation or luck; and by teaching and living out biblical truth.
Read 1 Timothy 1:3. What strong instruction did Paul give to Timothy regarding ‘myths’ and ‘meaningless speculations’? Why?
What does believing in fate and destiny say about your view of God? How does misplacing your trust ultimately lead to a misdirection of your life? What do you need to submit to God’s control?
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more